1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to do when your editor really screws up

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kingcreole, Apr 4, 2010.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Well, I just talked with my SE. Had to run by the office this morning and he was in. He was at the event, saw the story occur, talked to the kid for awhile. Said he wanted to do a big feature on the kid later in the week. I asked why there wasn't anything done up front, and he really didn't have an answer. Kind of danced around, said he wanted to write about the other kids first.

I left feeling confused as to why you would sit on a great story like that. Oh well, I guess it's why he gets paid the big bucks. :)

2. Well, the editor at my school paper is awful. She makes articles due during game 3 of the world series. What the hell I am supposed to write? I ask her to hold the paper one week (as my article is the only one time sensitive) and she says no. Then I wrote about the super bowl. She deleted the article (by accident, supposedly and then gives me no time to write a new one) She says right away that she has another article she will put in my spot. And she gave my space for our 3rd cooking recipe. So after that, I do not even talk to her, send my article with some one else. She makes me want to stop writing all together. But, never mind about me.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Why is your school paper writing about the series or Super Bowl? Write about your audience. Plenty of places they can get coverage of WS or SB.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If his articles read like his post does, I can see why the editor doesn't care for him.

5. My point, however, I was told that I could not write about our high school sports. Had to write about the pros.

6. What is the matter with my post?

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

You gonna foul up every thread with this charade?

8. Me? and what charade?

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Too much awesome. You are having a chilling effect on other posters.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is actually a legitimate thought process, and it happens sometimes, with the hope of really digging in and making it something better than you might have done, or been able to do, right on deadline.

I ask again, did your paper actually get beaten on the story?

If not, I'd just be happy if I were you, and glad that he'd left it to you, and I'd tell him you'll "do the big feature later in the week," and then make it great.

And then, I'd get to it.

Not to make excuses, but the guy was just filling in for you. And that's all he apparently expected and wanted to do.

11. They should hit the ignore button then.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

POP,

I think you lost people here: "She makes articles do game 3 of the world series."

It makes no sense as it reads there, and made it hard for us to follow what you were trying to say. It's good that you're participating, and you'll learn a lot.

Really, though, be careful and re-read what you're going to post. (Look at it on preview before hitting post, making any changes you find are needed in the white box).

Draft saved Draft deleted