1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to do when you miss home

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smash Williams, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I don't know why I've suddenly turned emo tonight. Perhaps its that I flew home today after seeing my mom for the first time in six months, after seeing my home and my pets (really her pets, but I grew up with them) for the first time in a year. Perhaps its that I'm just dreading the ass-kicking of a work day I have tomorrow.

But I'm suddenly the most homesick I've been since probably, well, ever. At least in college, I lived near one parent. But now I'm kinda out in the middle of the country, eight hours from any family save the nice but idiotic cousin going to college near me. Even at my other job, I could get to my dad's place in a few hours.

It's not a lack of friends or social life or hatred of my job. I just really, suddenly, desperately want to be home.

So, those who have been there, is there anything I can do except wait the melancholy feelings out?
  2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Been there, done that. I live 2,500 miles away from my beloved mom, siblings and -- of course -- the dog.

I would suggest surrounding yourself with reminders of home -- eat the foods, put up some photos, wear familiar clothes, whatever it is that might help you embrace the homesickness instead of avoiding it.

Maybe call your mom or your friends at a random time this weekend, just to say hi. Those things should, hopefully, lift your spirits enough to where you can get through the day, the week, the rest of the year, and not feel so homesick.

Good luck. It ain't easy being on your own.
  3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I don't feel homesick or anything, but sometimes I catch myself listening to music that my parents always blared when I was growing up with them.

Things like that always seem to keep my childhood home a little closer.
  4. pallister

pallister Guest

I've normally been at least a day's drive, and often more, away from my family (mom, dad, siblings) for most of my adult life. I don't get homesick per se, but the couple of times each year I visit, I really look forward to it. Then, after a week of being around nothing but family, I'm usually ready to go "home." Until the process repeats itself. Best I can say is just make sure and visit when you can, remind yourself why you miss your loved ones, take it in and take it with you when you go. I hear of people who go years without seeing family and it boggles my mind.
  5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Farthest I've lived from home was roughly two hours when I lived in Lexington.

I went home as often as my schedule would allow, and that was maybe one weekend a month when nothing was going on.

I always hated leaving, but knew I had to get back to my life. I can't imagine what it will be like when I'm finally able to afford my own place again.
  6. jlee

jlee Active Member

I second this. Especially the food and clothes parts.
  7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I live on the other side of the country from my parents. I've got family pictures up everywhere. It helps, at least a little. It was much better when I lived close to my grandmother though. Now, I'm nowhere near anybody.
  8. pallister

pallister Guest

I've never kept a single family-related photo at home or work. I think my family got burned out on photos before I was born.
  9. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Usually I'm ready to go back, or at least stop sharing the same personal space with my sister. We get along much better when we see each other in short bursts. But this time I just wasn't ready to leave, and it's making tonight suck.
  10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Honestly, I'll take a walk and think about the good times with friends or watch something that reminds me of my childhood -- or somewhere close to it. Robin Hood: Men In Tights, for instance -- it's on now, too -- is a flick I'll watch and won't make me the least bit depressed or lost. It's just funny and serves as a great reminder for all those times my friends and I've quoted it.

I text a lot, too. That helps keep people closer -- all at once -- at any moment of the day.
  11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Smash, deciding that family is more important to your life and looking for a job -- even if it's in a different field -- and moving back is always an option. Don't be afraid to consider it. And if it's what you decide you really want, don't let anyone tell you you're wrong.

At least be open to the possibilities. If you aren't, you might never be happy and never realize why. Family is important. Don't minimize missing them.
  12. KG

KG Active Member

All these suggestions are great, surrounding yourself with things that remind you of home and all, but sometimes you really do just have to wait for it to pass. I get homesick, and sometimes doing little things work, but sometimes it just has to pass. Getting back to your normal schedule helps quite a bit.
Draft saved Draft deleted