1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to do when the editors insert mistakes

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by JeffRoper, Oct 6, 2012.

1. JeffRoper

JeffRoper Guest

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Cry.

3. StephenBailey

StephenBailey New Member

It's happened to me before. I'd recommend emailing the editor kindly pointing out the specific error(s). You won't be able to send a physical clip or PDF with the clean copy, but it's really your only option if you really want to use the clip.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You really shouldn't do that.

As much as it sucks, everyone has potential clips ruined by editing mistakes, and we all have to play by the same rules. If you are good enough to be worth hiring, you can come up with other clips.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Whining to the higher-ups over one article is a really good way to not get yourself any more freelance opportunities. Using a clip that wasn't published is a really good way to get future hiring editors to toss your application. Get over it and move on. If it happens again, you can word a very polite letter to the sports editor. If it happens again after that, stop freelancing for that publication.

It's not your job to ensure that a place you freelance for is putting out a quality product. I understand the intent to protect your clips, but get over it.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Best advice? - Get him to buy some more of your work as a make-good.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Now there's a beautiful Freudian slip. :D

8. ringer

ringer Active Member

The piece has your name attached to it, so it affects your reputation more than it does the paper's.

If there are factual errors, it's your job to point them out to the editor -- in a professional and un-antagonizing way -- so he or she can issue a correction and/or modify the online version.

As for any grammatical disasters... you have to decide whether its worth mentioning. The factual errors are more grave, imo. It might also be worth noting that even large magazines and newspapers sometimes insert cliches without writers' consent. You'd think they're know better, but this sort of thing is kind of epidemic.

Anyway, if you decide to write for them again, try to request the final read-through. Especially if they're understaffed. It's kind of like doing them a favor... unless you insist on re-inserting 500 words, etc.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Nowadays, so many applications are done online that I have a file of text only clips I normally send.

But, to the original point, we've all been there where someone else has messed up our work. I've never seen it done intentionally. I would wait a day or two and then contact the editor in a non-hostile tone and discuss the issue.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

... and there's the rub.

Depending on who you're dealing with, there may be no way to broach that subject that won't come off as whiny and antagonizing to that person.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Place me in the camp that believes you should just move on. But if this is a pattern, you need to bring it up in the most professional way possible. One bad story isn't going to make or break you, but if you can't get clips because they keep screwing up your copy, then you have to point it out.

12. Unfriend him.

Draft saved Draft deleted