1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to do when stuff hits the fan ... and the desk, and the keyboard

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GidalKaiser, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I agree. One place I worked went through a similar situation when our SE left and it was two months before the new guy arrived. We were in the middle of winter sports season and suddenly a man short. On top of that, two of our three remaining people got sick/injured.

We prioritized. We all took on some overtime, but we also cut out some things we'd otherwise have done. And did a job we all were quite proud of.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Gidal, we've worked at the same paper as sportswriters (you were a year or two after me). That town is no different, really, in that there are the 6-8 schools with a JC -- and deadline pressures are the same. Only difference now is you have FCS football and other D-I sports.

You could role-play a bit. JV quarterback becomes varsity starter overnight. Are you going to panic, or are you going to do whatever it takes to win?

Don't try to cover the stuff you can't cover. Some stuff will be ignored unless they're phoners. Perhaps write a short column telling readers you're the man now and that things are a bit hectic and that things will be back to normal shortly. Your readers will understand.

3. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

I did not demand OT, just asked not to be put on salary at this juncture. I was told, essentially, don't worry about overtime, and we now temporarily have our full-time designer coming back, a beat reporter for Bobcat football, and two others in the newsroom who are willing to help. So things look OK, on paper, right now.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good luck.

If they try to put you on salary, run. At least as far as your legs will take you in Montana.

5. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

How did you know I'm a short dude? :)

Draft saved Draft deleted