1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to do when jobs get slow?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Paulwall5, Aug 20, 2014.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I probably would've went to law school. Or become a pharmacist. They make some bank.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I would become a linguist and go make beaucoup bucks working for the military as I should have done.

3. Had the opportunity to be a nuclear tech in the Navy.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Glad I'm not the only one with that oh-so-useful poly-sci degree ... :)

To the OP: This is the time of year things should start picking up, with prep and college sports ready to roll again.

Email local SEs and tell them your availability as a stringer, and if asked, forward them a clip or two. The ability to shoot photos will be a bonus at smaller papers.

Good luck!

5. Paulwall5

Paulwall5 New Member

I did win a national photography competition a few years ago, so maybe that will help.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Those jobs are about as easy to come by as journalism jobs right now.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

But would you be a cunning one?

8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it wasn't as bad when I graduated way too long ago.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

What should a freelancer do when the jobs get slow?

Get your ass on the phone.

When I was a full-time freelancer, I spent probably 70-75 percent of my time on the phone or e-mail trying to hustle up work and 25-30 percent actually doing the work. You find events coming up in your area, identify outlets that might be covering them, start calling SEs months in advance and keep at it.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

If you think that's correct, you probably should have gone into something other than writing.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I was a full-time freelancer and couldn't have said it better. "Always be pitching" should be your motto. And move away from sports whenever you can -- there is good money in technical writing and PR. Get your resume in front of companies that need writers and can provide a steady stream of work. Like others said, your clips are your calling card, screw the degree.

I'd also put chasing game stories on the back burner. In many years as a freelancer I only covered one game in a major sport as a one-off thing (through a freelance ad here; a paper's NBA beat writer was sick and didn't travel to the game in my town). I pitched a few early in my career but found it really wasn't worth the effort.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I do mostly events now because I have a full-time job and don't have a lot of time to work on features, and most of those event stories are sidebars, not gamers. I target larger outlets that are already sending beat guys and are looking for someone to do a sider or notebook. Not only are those gigs easier to come by -- they pay much better, too.

As for other areas outside sports, absolutely go for those. The corporate gigs pay way better than almost any sports outlet. I get $1 a word from a major tech company for cranking out 500-800-word rah-rah features for its internal online newsletter.

Draft saved Draft deleted