1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to do when jobs get slow?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Paulwall5, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Paulwall5

Paulwall5 New Member

As a writer who has done almost exclusively freelance work thus far, what is some advice that could be given for when the jobs are coming in slowly.

I have done freelance at a high level, covering the NBA, the Olympics, Indy Car races, and also at a high school and college level as well.

Over the past 6 months, I have received hardly any freelance jobs, as I know can be normal for freelancers.

The problem is, however, that I do not have a journalism degree, so whenever I am interested in a full time writing job, that usually counts me out.

Any advice?

2. Walmart? The problem is not having a journalism degree. Many smaller papers don't care what your degree is in if you can write. You'll have to want to excited to work for peanuts, in Podunk, though.

3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

You say, "...when the jobs are coming in slowly."

Just curious: Are you waiting for jobs to come to you, or are you actively seeking out freelance jobs? There are lots of sites -- including SportsJournalists.com, and some are better/more legit than others -- that list freelance gigs that are available. And look outside your area of expertise, jobs that are not sports-related. One of the best freelance stories I've ever done was for an academic magazine. It was outside of my area, and it was a lot of work, but it certainly looks good in my portfolio now.

Good luck.....

4. Paulwall5

Paulwall5 New Member

I am willing to work wherever. I guess I just should send my stuff in for more openings.

I am seeking them out, but I could be doing a better job of it.

Thanks for the advice?

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I would get your degree. I don't know if you're a few credits short or if you never went to college at all. It didn't used to make much of a difference if you had a degree, but it seems to now.

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

If you have good clips, the degree won't matter at smaller papers. Most require some kind of college degree, but if you've been in newspapers for years, they won't care what it's in. Mine's in political science, for crying out loud.

If you think it might be an issue, address it in your cover letter.

7. RecoveringJournalist

Yeah, do not get a journalism degree.

Get it in something useful.

8. Paulwall5

Paulwall5 New Member

I have a degree, in theology/communication...

Thanks for all the tips.

9. RecoveringJournalist

Then that's not the reason you're not getting those jobs. Nobody cares if your degree is in journalism, unless you have zero clips and it doesn't sound like that is your issue.

10. Paulwall5

Paulwall5 New Member

I guess I will rework some of my resume' and change up some of the clips I usually send.

11. RecoveringJournalist

For your degree just put that you graduated. Don't list the major.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I would probably still go into journalism again right out of college.

I would not major in journalism.

Draft saved Draft deleted