1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to do, what to do......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

"Honey, did you write a check to Tribune Publishing for $400? The memo says 'the rights to the word Tronc and to name an English Bulldog Tronc at a future date?'"

"Yes. Yes, I did."

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Any Wagner in particular? Götterdämmerung would be thematically appropriate but out of context without the rest of the Ring cycle.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Evidently we're all assuming we'll be beating the odds in more ways than one... but given the scenario, maybe that's not such a stretch.

For starters: Take the lump sum, lawyer up, and vanish overseas (buying a nice condo in Wellington is on hold indefinitely, though). From afar, make large donations to a handful of charities as well as the public schools foundation in my hometown, plus the district for the farm kids outside of town. As for family -- assuming there's a way to do it without leaving them in tax hell -- a one-time payoff of mortgages, credit cards, student loan debt, car loans, etc. plus a small trust to use at their discretion.

Take 40-50 percent of the winnings and dump it into some boring index funds or whatever it takes to secure me a steady income of a few hundred grand a year. I'd probably take the rest and do something spectacularly wasteful with it, like start a podcast network or buy a lower-division soccer team and try to live out my delusions of Championship Manager glory.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Mega Millions rolled over.

Hell, if I won that I might buy Lee Enterprises (terrible investment, obviously), roll it over into a nonprofit corporation, and then put on Joker makeup and stroll into that emergency board meeting Mary Junck would call so I could fire Mary, her sycophants on the board and a whole bunch of senior managers.

Wenders likes this.
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Buy the Red Sox, move them to Austin.

Flip Wilson likes this.
  6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Rumor has it the IRS allows a one-time-only gift to your spouse for up to $60,000. Tax-free. IRS can't touch one cent. It's legal. Ask the IRS. They'll say the same thing. I feel stupid telling you this. I'm sure you would have investigated. But you do need someone to set it up for you. That'll cost you. A lawyer. I suppose I could set it up for you. That would save you some money. You get the forms, I'll prepare them... ...nearly free of charge. I'd only ask three beers apiece for each of my coworkers.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

IIRC, you can give $15K per year to a person tax free.

Maybe that’s gone up in recent years.

Still, I’m sure they’d be like, $15K, WTF?

Ungrateful sumbitches.

Batman likes this.
  8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Still trying to figure out how to spend last night's winnings of $6.

Wenders likes this.
  9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Net?

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

That's a really shitty hooker and you have to lick her nostril to get some blow.

Chef2 likes this.
  11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Sooooo, it's up to $1.6 BILLION now. Golly. Wonder where it will be by Tuesday.

I stopped Friday afternoon to grab a couple of tickets. Pretty long line.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Retire. Buy a house out here. Buy a house in New Mexico. Buy a condo in Hawaii or maybe Mexico. Make sure my parents are set. My nieces and nephews too. Host a big ass family reunion. Host a big ass three-day party at a beach house. Maybe start a foundation where I can be the lynchpin on helping worthy non-profits take off.

Draft saved Draft deleted