1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to do in South Dakota?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, May 8, 2010.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Went through the area last summer, during our move across the northern U.S. I enjoyed the Black Hills region a lot and would like to visit again when I have a few more days to hike, fish, and poke around. It's a beautiful area.

Mount Rushmore is definitely worth a day, especially if you're into photography.

Shoot "the faces" in the morning for the best light, then come back at dusk for the lighting ceremony. It was pretty cool.

If I recall, one pass is good for the whole day, and you can come and go.

Also, grab your meals, drinks, etc. in Rapid City, because the busload-of-tourist restaurants close to Mount Rushmore were overpriced and not too good.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The ND and SD Badlands are two very distinct, not-connected geographical areas. ND Badlands have a lot more color in them because the Little Missouri River runs through them. SD Badlands are much more arid.

The Mammoth Site in Hot Springs is very interesting, if you're into archeology, wooley mammoths, etc. If you have kids, Evans Plunge in Hot Springs can also be a good time.

Sheridan Lake Park in Rapid City has a nice swimming area too, and if you play golf Meadowbrook is an outstanding public course.

If you enjoy hiking, climb Harney Peak. Takes about 2-3 hours up, and about half that going down. Great view, it's the tallest mountain in the US east of the Rockies.

There's a brew pub in Hill City, near Rushmore, that's pretty good eats and the Firehouse in downtown RCSD has good pub fare too.

And the geographical center of the US is near Buffalo, SD.

Draft saved Draft deleted