1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to do in Minneapolis (well, Bloomington)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by butch, Jun 10, 2008.

1. butch

butch Member

Just found out I'm headed to the Minneapolis area in a few weeks for the U.S. Women's Open (yeah, i'm pumped). We're actually staying in the Bloomington area.
    I've never been and am looking for suggestions on restaurants/bars to hit up in the area.
    Advice?

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Is that anywhere near the Mall of America?

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Ask Zeke12. He gave me some excellent advice (hopefully) about an upcoming trip of mine. It is very informative stuff about Minneapolis and St. Paul.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

"Hey Bloomington, what'd ya let 'em to do you? I think they're almost through with you." -- The Hold Steady

That's the extent of my knowledge of Bloomington, but then, all I know about MPLS/St. Paul comes from The Hold Steady, so I wouldn't be much help.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ask Jones. He learned more in one night in Nye's Polonaise than most people learn in a lifetime.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

MoA was built on the site of Metropolitan Stadium after it was torn down. So ... yeah.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Since the Mall of America is in Bloomington, uh yeah.

If you have time one morning drive over to Lake Harriet/Calhoun/Lake of the Isles and go for a walk. Nice area. Lot of folks out enjoying the morning.

Como Park Zoo over in St. Paul is pretty cool if you're into that kind of thing.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

If you have free time take a walk on Summit Avenue in St. Paul. Fantastic turn of the century robber baron mansions. And I second the Lake Harriet/Lake Calhoun suggestion. Nice area, had friends who lived on Upton and Vincent streets just south of the area. Minnehaha Parkway is also a nice drive.

The diner from "The Mighty Ducks" used to be in downtown St. Paul (Mickey's?) Not sure if it's still there.

A St. Paul Saints' American Association game outside is far better than a Twinkies game at the Metrodome, if you have a free night.

The Cabooze (on Cedar in Minny, it's sort of hard to find) used to be a neat place to go, as did Bullwinkle's, in the five corners area.

Been a while since I've been in MSP so my info may be outdated. If it is, I'm sure somebody here will correct it soon, and deservedly so.

Say hello to Lucas Davenport and Weather for me, OK?

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

First of all, Interlachen is one of the great underrated golf courses in this country. It is terrific. Make sure you get out and see the golf course early in the week.

There's a bar, and someone will fill in the details I'm forgetting, that I think is in the west suburbs of Minneapolis. They're famous for their cheeseburgers, called a Juicy Lucy, which is two patties sealed with cheese in the middle. They actually warn you as they serve it; be careful or you might get burned by the melted cheese. This is the best burger I've ever had. Oh, God, is it good.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Matt's Bar for Jucy Lucy's. But that's NE Minneapolis.

Bloomington has a Joe Senser's, if sports bars are your thing.

There's a really good Greek restaurant in Bloomington, too, but I'm blanking on the name.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Reggie's Skyway Lounge... you might even see some of the LPGA players there...

12. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

What, no love for me?

Draft saved Draft deleted