1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What To Do In Milwaukee?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I'm not sure why Huggy is considering Milwaukee. But my first and foremost reason is to see the Brewers and Miller Park. I go to a MLB park every summer (this will be my 13th and Shea will be No. 14). So, everything after the ball game is a bonus/extra.

2. One night at Summerfest, back in the day.
    One $5 admission.
    Waylon Jennings.
    Sonny Rollins.
    Muddy Waters.
    The Chieftains.

My date went home early.
    No future there for sure.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I was scared to death of Samson when I was a boy. Wasn't really aware of the masturbation thing. Respect for Samson? Going up!

Of course you have to deal with about 1,000 times more bullshit just getting around Chicago to do any of that stuff. The Milwaukee zoo (better by almost all accounts than either of Chicago's zoos) and Miller Park are literally 10 minutes apart up-and-down I-94 and/or Blue Mound Road.

The only thing Chicago soundly beats Milwaukee in is museums. Everything else, from the lakefront, to the bar scene, and especially, general affordability (baseball tix are just one example), Milwaukee has Chicago all beat to hell.

4. Wow, where do you begin with this?

As I stated earlier, I like Milwaukee very much. It has a nice ballpark, some decent restaurants and very cool taverns. But to say Milwaukee has Chicago "all beat to hell" in virtually every category is homerism at its best and ignorant at its worst.

Milwaukee has a decent lakefront, but is it better than Chicago's? With the skyline, Grant Park and Lake Shore Drive?

Milwaukee has a very good zoo. But better than the Brookfield/Lincoln Park combo?

Milwaukee has some good restaurants. But as many, and as diverse, as Chicago has?

I don't know if you were being serious about this. But if you were, I seriously wonder about you.

Milwaukee is a great city, very underrated. But Chicago probably is one of only three cities in the U.S. I would consider to be "world class" -- New York and San Francisco being the others.

If you had said Milwaukee beats the hell out of Houston, Dallas-Fort Worth, Phoenix or St. Louis, I'd be right there with you.

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

What, you couldn't spring for your date's $5 admission, too?

No wonder she went home early, you cheapskate :D

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I was dead serious.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

In Bubbler's defense, there's something to be said for convenience. I go to Chicago at least twice a year. But I go "see the sights" about once a decade. It's a pain in the ass to do anything in a city that big. I prefer to hang out in the neighborhood and have fun. Granted, most visitors don't really have that luxury. But I prefer medium-sized metro areas (like Nashville) because they're s easy to get around.

8. I'm usually that way, too, and I appreciate the ease of getting around a medium-sized city.

But saying it "beats Chicago all to hell" is ridiculous. Although I think Chicago beats NYC all to hell, so ...

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Well, Bubs is from Wisconsin. You can't hold him to too high of a standard.

10. Good point. :)

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh look the conservatives are teaming up. how cute. :D :D :D

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

BYH, here's another conservative chiming in. :D :D :D

Does Chicago have something equivalent to Koz's Mini Bowl? I think not.

A video actually shot in Koz's:
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=16003894

A review of Koz's:
    http://www.onmilwaukee.com/sports/articles/minibowl.html

Located on 7th and Becher just south of downtown and just West of I-94 (Becher St. exit), it's one of the best and cheapest times you can have. Don't know if I would recommend bringing the little one, though, but might not be a bad thing if you're there in the late afternoon/early evening mid-week.

The lanes are elevated off the floor just like Skee-ball.

Draft saved Draft deleted