1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What To Do In Milwaukee?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Apr 22, 2008.

1. If you go to Brady Street, and you find any 35-year old brain cells, they're mine, OK?

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Probably a used syringe :D

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Is this the original Gilles Frozen Custard?

http://www.gillesfrozencustard.com/

4. Norman Stansfield

Yeah, that's it. It's fairly close to the zoo, too, if you want to make a day of it.

5. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

The zoo AND frozen custard? My wife will be VERY happy. She loves the zoo.

6. Norman Stansfield

Yeah, they're only a few miles apart. And the zoo is very good, as well.

7. Another vote for the Milwaukee County Zoo.
    Visit the monument to the late Samson, famous poo-flinging, masturbating gorilla. (That stuff's not on the plaque, by the way.) He was a hit back in my day.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The wife and I - along with Huggy Jr. - were looking at taking a road trip to Chicago next summer. This thread has got me seriously looking at adding Milwaukee. I know people who have been to Summerfest and rave about it.

Baseball, a zoo, custard, bowling and beer? Christ, sounds like you can't go wrong.

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

If you're in Chicago during Summerfest's run (11 days at the end of June/early July), you have to make the trip up ... since a Amtrak train load of Chicagoans do each day anyway.

Pretty much any type of music you will find (including big names and nostalga acts) and even comedians (Lewis Black makes an annual appearance), and of course lots of different food and lots of different beer.

Dancing on picnic tables optional.

And Pete, if you are in Milwaukee during Summerfest (June 26-July 6 this year), take the kids in the daytime ... plenty of kids themed shows to take them to, as well as playground equipment, face painting, workshops, etc. Also, on Monday or Tuesday there has been a Kids Day show at the Amphitheater in the morning.

http://www.summerfest.com

10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

A few years ago, Chicago Reader did a good feature on the Holler House ... one of the oldest bowling lanes in the country (the other is in Fond du Lac):

http://www.chicagoreader.com/features/stories/theseparts/hollerhouse/

11. Babyjay

Babyjay Member

I agree on the zoo, Summerfest and frozen custard. And don't miss the Safehouse. It's a bar/restaurant, but if you go early, the baby will be fine. It's loads of fun.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

No offense to Milwaukee and all my relatives who live there, but you'll get four of five (well, maybe you'll find custard) in Chicago, plus an extra zoo and an extra baseball team. So unless it's Summerfest time, I wouldn't make a special trip unless you have that much time to spare. Especially if you're staying downtown and have to take the Edens construction area/parking lot on your way out of the city.

Draft saved Draft deleted