1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to do in Buffalo?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ilmago, Sep 27, 2010.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The Adams Mark is probably the best place to stay. Very convenient, right on the trolley line.

Pearl City Brewery is good and there's a good local bar on Swan Street just across the street from the baseball stadium, Jack McGinty's. Not sure exactly what kind of beer they have but they do have Genny Cream on tap.

Chippewa Street caters to the 20-35 crowd. There was a nasty shooting by some nutcase at the City Grill this summer and the Buffalo News had a story on the escalating number of assaults, etc., in the area, but it's generally very safe, especially with a group.

The Buff State/old UB area out on Elmwood has some nice bars too; my faves were Cole's and Jimmy Mac's on Elmwood and Checkers over on Hertel. Might be too staid for your group, but they all are only about 15 minutes from downtown.

If you like running, Delaware Park is a good place to go, or downtown on the waterfront in the LaSalle Park area along the lake/Erie Marina Boat Basin (it's the area where Jim Carey got hit by a truck in Bruce Almighty).

Never had bad wings at the Anchor. Duff's is excellent, but mos places have good wings because the local standards are high. Good Italian at Marco's, or at Chef's, also near the arena.

The original Erie Canal terminus area has been restored and there are also two WWII-era cruisers or destroyers in the harbor, also within walking distance of the area, if you like history.

Niagara Falls is a must. Bring your passport, because the Canadian side is nicer. Old Fort Niagara is cool, if you're into history. There are lots of wineries in southern Ontario, and Niagara on the Lake has lot of artsy-fartsy shops and a quaint downtown. Take the Niagara River Parkway back, it borders the Niagara River and is quite scenic.

If you're into architecture, Frank Lloyd Wright's Darwin Martin House and Larkin Building are in Buffalo and they are gems.

The best beef on weck in WNY is at the BarBill in suburban East Aurora. The Union Road Schwabl's, the original restaurant, also has good B on W.

Bring a coat. It might not be snowing, but the wind down by the lake is a bitch.

2. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

It's 2 a.m. the traffic's slow
    It looks like ladies' night in Buffalo

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

For fun see how long it takes you to read the Buffalo News cover to cover. A good time is under 3 minutes.

4. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Thanks for the taking the time to suggest me some great places.

I live in Ottawa, and I've been to Niagara Falls many times, on the Canadian side, and being from Ottawa I'm used to the Cold hehe.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I wondered when Micro Guy was gonna show up. :)

Buffalo's a bit like Hamilton. Both cities get undeserved raps, mostly from people who've never been there or, in the case of Hamilton, only see the steel mills belching smoke as they cross the Burlington Bay Skyway bridge.

Also, the Adams Mark has a very funky bar downstairs. It still looks like someone's rec room from the 1970's.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

There's also a new Frank Lloyd Wright boathouse down on Porter Avenue at the river, too. They built it a couple years ago from an old set of blueprints.

Walk around, look at the buildings and the neighborhoods. See the house where Teddy Roosevelt was sworn in in 1901. Lots of great architecture everywhere - 100 years ago there were more millionaires in Buffalo than there were in New York City.

7. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Buffalo's a fun city. I spent 26 years in WNY and four years in the area, Amherst really, not Buffalo - except when going downtown or around the area. Tho, I'm glad I moved despite most of my family and friends still in WNY.

8. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

I've not been but my beer buddies from WNY say Cole's has the best taplist in the city.

Oh, and Duff's over Anchor, many times over.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I have a ton of relatives in Buffalo, so I always have a blast when I go there.

But I also appreciate this line from A Chorus Line:

"I would have committed suicide, but in Buffalo suicide is redundant."

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Are you saying:
    1. You and your friends are large of stature and/or girth and that you like to consume beer.
    B. You and your friends like to drink beer from containers that are larger than average.
    III. You and your friends like to consume large volumes of beer.
    E. All of the above.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

1,B III, and E are the choices?

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Yes, it's an American thing. You wouldn't understand.

Also, funny that you mentioned Hamilton. Just last week at breakfast, I was regaling some people with the story of my one and only trip to Hamilton. It was circa 1989 to see the Grateful Dead.

Draft saved Draft deleted