1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to do going forward: CBS reporter sexually assaulted in Egypt

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by The Basement, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

http://www.salon.com/entertainment/tv/feature/2011/02/15/lara_logan_rape_reaction

2. ringer

ringer Active Member

I was stunned to see the photo of Logan moments before the attack. I know this argument would never fly in the US, but having spent time in Egypt, it's clear that she was very inappropriately dressed. In Cairo, women get harassed for wearing something as seemingly innocuous as a slim fitting shirt with their elbows and collarbone exposed. You do not walk around in a low-cut blouse, makeup and pearls. At night. In winter. In the middle of a pack of rowdy men. In that city. Period. They think she's a prostitute and, horribly, horrendously, treated her as such.

3. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

This was a terrible thing to happen.

I have one question I haven't found an answer to, and I sense it was a "let's get outta here" self preservation, but this part of the story makes me wonder: "Logan and her security team 'were surrounded by a dangerous element amidst the celebration,' according to the CBS statement. There were over 200 people in the mob. In the crush of the mob, she was separated from her crew."

Where did her "security crew" go? Did they (apparently) lose track of her and leave her in that mob? Not assessing any blame. Lord knows I would have wanted out of there. But were there people there supposed to protect her who left her to be assaulted? I just don't think that part of the story is explained well.

4. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Logan was rescued by a group of women. Should those women not have been there because they were women?

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Thanks for the insights, PC. I'm not sure what to make of this. I don't think it's out of the question that this could happen in the United States amid an angry crowd.

In the 1980s I worked with a reporter who was badly beaten while on assignment. He realized it was a dangerous situation but of course did not predict the severity of what could happen to him. He thought the story was worth the risk.

I've been in two reporting situations in which I was physically afraid. The first was at an ethnic sporting event in which a radical political group phoned in a bomb threat. There were about 5,000 people in a confined outdoor stadium. I was 19 years old and was with a veteran female photographer, who correctly assessed that there probably was no bomb but that our real danger was a stampede if people in the crowd became aware of the exact nature of the problem as the cops did their thing. Perhaps it was inexperience, but the idea of trouble never entered my mind going in. The photog seemed less surprised than I was.

The second time was much later in my career. We were uninvited observers at a very fringe event that we knew could turn ugly and that there was not much we could do about it if something happened. A reporter was threatened as he attemped to interview some people -- I was directly across the street when it happened. He, another editor and I made our way down an alley to my car. We were shaken up. It's one thing to predict danger, it's another to feel it as it unfolds.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I have nothing in common with Lara Logan other than ambition. You can tell watching her work that she is determined, dedicated and passionate about her work. Those are the same qualities I try to bring to my job.

It's evident that when something like the Egyptian Revolution happens, she wants to be there. CBS News wants her there. Why? Because all of those qualities make her one of the best people from any network/news gathering service.

What I know about myself tells me there was no way Lara Logan was going to pass on this assignment. Even if someone at CBS News foresaw the possibility of something like this, there was no way that person could have prevented Logan from going. She would have quit and gone there for another network. People who do her job don't run from these assignments, no matter the danger.

That's why Katie Couric left and Logan didn't. It's not a shot at Couric. The two of them are wired differently. Logan accepts that risk. Couric doesn't.

I'm still sick from reading the story. It sounds like a premeditated, prepared attack. The men who did this knew they had to separate Logan from a security crew and co-workers. They could not have done it without massive co-ordination.

What do we do going forward? That's a tough question. You can say reporters shouldn't go into these countries, but Mubarak crushes these demonstrations without the international media. So that's a bad thing. You can say the stars stand on the balconies while others chase the stories. I'm not sure that's going to fly either. Number one, their recognizable faces can get people to talk. Number two, what makes most of them great reporters is that they want to go get the stories themselves. Number three, if there is danger, you're basically saying, "I'm going to sit here while you risk whatever." Sorry, but that's not the way war correspondents think.

Certainly, there will be a huge debriefing among all the newsgathering organizations, asking each other how/if this could have been prevented and how it can be avoided in the future. But, one thing that isn't going to change is the willingness of these reporters to go into danger. I know, if I was covering Egypt right now, I'd want to go to Bahrain/Yemen/Iran, no matter what happened to Logan. You accept the risk, although you probably don't think about the worst. I know I would.

All of that said, I hope she makes a full recovery -- especially mentally.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Here's some context to why Logan was in Egypt, and what happened in the week prior to the attack:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2011-02-15/lara-logan-of-cbs-news-attacked-in-egypts-tahrir-square-what-she-faced/

What to do going going forward? I suspect if it's Logan's call, she'll head right back there.

Has Logan grown as a journalist in recent years? I confess to not paying much attention to her after finding a series of her reports, oh, a bit much for my taste.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Did she make a poor choice in clothing? I really don't want to put her in a bad light, but we all make bad decisions. Would she have been treated differently if she was wearing different clothes? Should she have been there in the first place?

Maybe yes. Maybe no.

Now the counter...

If Saudi TV (or any Muslim-based network) did a live hookup from Midtown Manhattan on Sept 12th or 13th, 2001 with their reporter wearing their traditional dress, how would they be treated?

Right or wrong, how do you think they would be treated? If that reporter was accosted, is that a good example of America? Would it have been a wise decision to put that reporter there?

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You should just delete the last post.

10. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

This is tough for me.

I know its competitive, but the situation is unsafe and as a woman in a country that doesn't afford equal respect to both genders, it makes for a toxic environment.

She was doing her job, but, was what she delivering better than if she reported from somewhere else?

It's a tough call.

As a journalist, would you rather report from the hotel, or, get in the thick of things to provide a first hand account? Both are accurate and truthful, one is more powerful.

But, it's a dangerous situation, doubly so for a women. Her being a women increased her risk level in that crowd. That has to be a part of the equation.

It's just a terrible situation all around. I imagine the editors and her bosses are going to be a lot more reluctant putting a women in that kind of situation again. How could you not be?

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Why?

The actions of a few should not represent the entire nation.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Leave it up if you want, but it's all kinds of dumb, and you're rightly going to get beat up for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted