1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to do about idiot drug dealing neighbors? UPDATE: THEY MOVED!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Re: What to do about idiot drug dealing neighbors?

Doesn't make much sense for folks to be tooting horns if they are buying drugs. Can't you leave some literature on your neighbor's porch on successful low-key drug transactions?

2. Re: What to do about idiot drug dealing neighbors?

How do you know they are even dealing drugs? Just guessing isn't proof. Just because they are irresponsible pricks doesn't mean they are dealing drugs.

I think you're just bitter you got some shitty neighbors and you're just looking for sympathy.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Could've been worse, I guess - he could've gotten you for a neighbour.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

It is not difficult at all to recognize when a neighbor is dealing drugs.

5. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Pan-demic, got that pan-demic right here!

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Let's see:

1. Pickup truck drives past them, honks, goes down to the house two doors down from them (friends or relatives of theirs). Guy bursts out of the house, yells out, "That's the signal!" Three of the people in the house walk down the street to the house, gather around the truck and start trading objects with each other.

2. Matriarch of the house, in a shouting match with one of the guys, calls him a crackhead.

3. Same crackhead, at 3 a.m. one night, screams about he's owed money for 'The Stuff'.

Would it hold up in court? Of course not. But it doesn't take much to add 2 and 2 together.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why don't you buy a used cop car off an auction and park it across the street?

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And not to postpad, but another update. As Jim Ross would put it, business has picked up.

Apparently, someone (NOT ME) called the cops on them about a missing car. Cops go to the house two doors down from theirs. I didn't get all the details, but apparently, the guy borrowed the car from one of the girls, and someone called, claiming the guy stole it. Cop talked to the girl on the phone and resolved it.

So I go get my mail, and I see the cop cars down the street. Maybe I was a bit foolish, but I decided to watch what was going on. Cops were there a while, then one cop car left.

Druggies come walking up the street, complaining and swearing. At first I thought they were bitching about the guy who called the cops. Then, when they get to their house, it turns out that they were complaining about me.

They thought I called the cops and claimed that I was always calling them. I've called them twice in the year that they have been there, once, when the aformentioned druggie was screaming at 3 a.m., and the other time, when I had the dispute which began this thread.

I denied it, naturally. If I had called the cops, I would have told them. Yelling ensues from them. Me, I take the old passive-aggressive route and just smile. They continue yelling how I'll probably just go to the cops again. Since one of them was there, I took the little walk down and told the cop (who was in the car).

Cop told me he'd tell them that it wasn't me who called them.

So now, I've got some pissed off druggies across the street from me, who know that if they pull the slightest shit with me, I'll be on the phone with the cops so fast they wouldn't know what hit them.

9. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Good for you, Baron. I had a similar issue about a year ago when I dropped my kids off on a Sunday afternoon. They live in a nice neighborhood. As I pull into the drive, there's a drug transaction going on right in the street. Car pulls up to the house next door, honks, a guy comes out of the house, hands the driver a baggie, money is exchanged.

I sent the kids in the house, retrieved a reporter notebook from my car, walked up to the customer's car and wrote down the license place as the customer/dealer kept yakking away. They both eventually noticed me and the customer sped away.

I called the narcotics task force the next day. I later found out that they set up a sting and busted the occupants of the house within a week.

Kudos to you for standing up and doing something, Baron. This kind of crap flourishes because good people are either indifferent to it or scared. More of what you're doing will put a stop to it.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Hack, if Baron took the route you went, this "problem" would be over.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I got upset with my neighbor because he didn't rake his leaves. Guess I've got it pretty good in my town.

Oh, except for the other neighbors who harbored trash for years, letting rats have the run of their house...and my garage.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

You are right. But it's not so easy to get the arrest and conviction with a reasonable sentence. Also not so easy for the po po not to be accused of profiling.

Draft saved Draft deleted