1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to do about idiot drug dealing neighbors? UPDATE: THEY MOVED!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Re: What to do about idiot drug dealing neighbors?

There are also cases where people put video like that up on youtube so the local officials can't conveniently "misplace" it if they don't want to take action.

My friend still lives in the city we grew up in and has some neighbors like that. He would call the mayor's hotline for things like garbage in the yard, noise, things like that. The cops also got called for things like drugs and whatever. They moved out in about a year. The new neighbors are still kind of scummy, but nowhere near as bad.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Does your local TV station have an investigative reporter? Shoot video of the deals, get copies of police reports. Give it all to the TV station. Pitch the story angle as "drug dealers hurting already depressed housing market" or "drug dealers ruining another quiet neighborhood." Tie the lack of police action to the other cop scandals. With sweeps coming up, it might work.

3. Re: What to do about idiot drug dealing neighbors?

There is no drug taskforce in your area?
    The cops may be staking the place... that takes some time before a raid.
    You work for a newspaper right? You might talk to the cops reporter or the chief of police and maybe, subtley, mention your probelm. You also might mention that it would maek a story; neighbors complaining about drug dealers while cops turn a blind eye.

You might also mention to your rentors that when cops move on on drug dealers pad they will legally seize the property and sell it auction. Eviction also takes some time.

I feel for you. Drug dealers tend ot attract druig users, most of whom are poor and will steal anything not nailed down. Our vehicles have been brokend into twice and the SOB's have stolen my kids bikes three times in the last year.

Best thing you - and the neighbors - can do is contimue to call the cops and the chief of police and the mayor and you city councilman... the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I used to work for a newspaper. They let me go last month. And I don't live in their circulation area.

There is a drug task force. They had busted them a few years ago. They keep moving around the area.

I'm guess I'm just more pissed off about the confrontation this morning. Other than one time months ago where I yelled out to them to keep quiet at 3 a.m., I really hadn't spoken to them. What pisses me off is that here's this druggie who comes into my neighborhood, on my street, and in front of my house honking the horn, then HE gets pissed off when I tell him to stop? Who the fuck does this asshole think he is?

I kept my eye on them, but I wouldn't say anything to them. My wife had spoken to them a few times, and on a couple of occasions when we were putting out junk for free, they had asked to take it and we let them.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

How about this:

Talk to your other neighbors and set up a plan where each of you calls the cops about these jerks every time they do something...so the cops get like four or five complaints at a time instead of just one.
    Maybe even find a reason to complain every day or two. In other words, swamp the cops with complaints, annoy the shit out of them and maybe they'll do something just to stop the complaints from coming in.

6. Re: What to do about idiot drug dealing neighbors?

Beat them at their own game. Sell better drugs for a cheaper price. And just like that they're out of business.

OK, just trying to lighten the mood.

That sucks Baron. I can't even imagine living next to something like that. I get pissed when the neighbor doesn't cut his grass.

Just be persistent and keep a level head. Best of luck.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Call CPS because this is endangering the two kids who live in the house. Call the State Police. Call the building inspector, call the health inspector, hell, call the restaurant inspector because they're making and selling consumables without a permit. If that doesn't work, call your local FBI office. Call Homeland Security, call Border Patrol.

Do not call Guns 'R' Us.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Legalize it so we can buy it at the CVS.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Have you considered writing a screenplay and trying to extort some of the drug money?

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That's another issue. The neighbor on the right side of me is a single woman who gets upset, but she's pretty intimidated by them. The neighbor on the left side of me is also a single woman, but she's not quite as afraid and has confronted them before. She's also contacted the police numerous times. She's a little out there (We had previous issues in which we didn't speak for about 3 years, but we get along now, the druggies have united us), and I think the cops kind of dismiss her as a wackjob. She's now contacting the sheriff.

The neighbors next door to them are this wonderful elderly couple in their 80s, who, I think, are pretty afraid of them too. The old guy asked them to quiet down once, and they did, but they don't want to press their luck.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

What kind of drugs are they selling?

And, um, can you get me some?

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Let me also add: Call your city council, call your state officials, call your Senator.

Tell them to put the Patriot Act to some good use for a change.

Edit: I'm not anti-marijuana, if that's all they're doing. I support legalization. But I am anti-meth, anti-heroin, etc. I'm also anti-disturbing-the-peace and anti-doing-this-shit-in-front-of-kids.

Draft saved Draft deleted