1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to do about idiot drug dealing neighbors? UPDATE: THEY MOVED!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Oct 5, 2009.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

Re: What to do about idiot drug dealing neighbors?

Record video of the drug dealing for about a week, send copies to the cops, the DA and the local paper. That might lead to some action.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Bringing people down your street consistently who do drugs should not be overlooked when you have kids.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. slytiger

slytiger Member

If the neighbors are renting, can you contact the owner of the house? They probably would not want illegal business going on in a home they own.

When I was living in Vancouver I had a similar situation, the ground floor condominium had become a crack den with drug addicts coming and going at all hours, committing thefts in the building, damaging property etc. As it was on the ground floor, the addicts had an outside entrance so they could easily slip past the building security cameras.

I worked with other residents of the building to gather evidence against the drug-dealing tenants. We would photograph every car that stopped in front of downstairs condo and a few of us would photograph the people coming to buy drugs.

We forwarded the evidence to the officer in charge of building a case against the drug-dealing owner. It did not help the police arrest the guy but it made it difficult for him to conduct business. Obviously you don't want to put yourself danger, I owned a 130 pound Rottweiler which allowed me to be so brazen to stand at their gate, but if you can make it difficult for them to do business they may want to leave.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I like the video idea. That could definitely get the ball rolling.

Agreed, Devil. For now, though, just keep the kids away from that house. Make them play in the backyard, not the front. Do whatever you can until the situation is resolved.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Who lives behind the house of drug dealers?
    How about letting them know what's going on in their backyard?
    Maybe someone on that side of the property will have some pull with the right people to get the situation resolved.

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Perhaps you could start blaring your horns at 2:30 in the afternoon. You know, when they're sleeping? :)

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's several things. One. I don't want to live across the street from drug dealers. As I said, if you're going to deal drugs, you do it quietly. The previous tenant was a woman who had several boyfriends, who were also dealing drugs. But in that case, other that men driving up, running into the house, and running out again in a minute, they weren't bothersome. So, I left them alone. I believe that people ought to do whatever they want to do, as long as they don't bother anyone else. With these idiots, they're bothering me, and my neighbors, and disturbing my sleep.

They also are very loud verbally. They are up until the wee hours of the morning, yelling, fighting, and just talking very loud. On our street, the houses are pretty much bunched together, so you expect to hear some things. But when your window is closed, and you hear them shouting about a drug deal gone wrong, it tends to get on your nerves.

They also curse and swear like there's no tomorrow. Now, I say my share of words, too. But they do it so loudly, and in front of my kids and their's, that it's ridiculous. My next-door neighbor on my right side says she can no longer sit outside on her steps without getting upset.

I'm aware of the potential backlash. They do most of their deals in the house, so videotaping them won't do much good. We've spoken to other people who were neighbors of them at previous places, and they said they used to run a prostitution ring, and used to steal stuff from them.

Like I said, I don't care what the hell my neighbors do, as long as it doesn't affect me. When it does, that's where I have problems.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. Baron Scicluna

I've actually done that a couple of times at 7 in the morning if I have to leave early (I apologize to my other neighbors in advance). I think that's one reason why they're pissed off about the horn honking. I've cracked their code.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Drugs and possible prostitutes on your block.
    Think of the gas money you'll save.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Since the local cops won't do anything, get the state police involved "by accident". Make sure you're speeding through a speed trap set up by the state police, and lead them on a chase back to your street and blare your horn using the code when you get to your house and when they come out to do the deal - they're nailed.

11. Baron Scicluna

State police mostly stick to the highways. County sheriffs come in when the local cops need backup, mostly.

Plus, I don't want to pay a ticket. :)

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I've been trying to calm down. I think part of it, is that I lost my job, and now have a lot more time where I'm seeing what they do. My wife used to complain about them to me when I was at work, but to me, it was more out of sight, out of mind.

12. Baron Scicluna

On a side note, I think the county officials do know about them. One of their young kids receives therapy, and they've had CPS called on them before (not by me), so, every once in a while, somebody goes in to their house.

Draft saved Draft deleted