1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to do about idiot drug dealing neighbors? UPDATE: THEY MOVED!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm open for suggestions.

I own my house, as well as my neighbors on either side of me, and the neighbor diagonally to me on my left. (Diagonal on my right has been vacant for years, that in itself is a ridiculous story.)

But the house across from me is a rental. And sure enough, I've been having to deal with a bunch of idiots who moved in about 9 months ago and are rude as hell, and deal drugs. These assholes fit every stereotype you can imagine. They're on welfare, but yet they can afford booze and cigarrettes. There are only supposed to be two women, and two young children living there. Yet, there are about five other men and three other women, plus other kids there.

They were blasting music, until my next-door neighbor basically told them that she would call the cops on them every single night, so they've toned that down somewhat. They honk horns about a dozen times, day and night, which is their signal for drug dealing. The horn honking also pisses me off because to me, if you're going to deal drugs, you do it quietly. You don't antagonize your neighbors.

We've called the cops on them one time. All the other neighbors have also gone to the local cops, as well as the county sheriff. They take our reports, and occasionally go over there to warn them, and that's about it. The cops know these people well because they've been trouble with them for years.

And today, I got into a shouting match with one of the assholes. Idiot, at 8:30 in the morning, honks his horn. Not once, which I wouldn't like, but I wouldn't be bothered with, but FOUR TIMES, inside ONE MINUTE.

After the fourth honk, I go outside on my porch and tell him, "Why don't you just go knock on their door?" Druggie tells me to mind my own business, I threaten to call the cops, Druggies in the house start yelling at me that they'll be honking horns all night.

So, I call the cops, and later visit them to file a report. I'm not too confident that they will do anything, since they've had other complaints about the druggies. We have also contacted the real estate agent who manages the property on several occasions. The company doesn't do background searches. They knew who the women were, but said that they begged the company to rent them the house because they would have been homeless if they didn't.

I've been dealing with a lot of anger with this. A couple of the people are Hispanic (others are white), and while I would like to think that I'm not a prejudiced person, I'm finding myself thinking of these druggies with certain words that would be described as racist. And I'm afraid that if there's another confrontation, that I'll get so mad that I'll use the words. And I don't want my kids learning that dad is a racist.

In addition, I'm finding myself, nearly every day, thinking that I need to buy a gun for protection at best, and at worst, to point it at them when they do one of their deals and tell them to get the fuck out of my neighborhood. I don't want to buy one, because 1. I don't want my young kids to get ahold of it, and 2. I don't want to go to jail.

The only other idea I've had is to make up a bunch of signs announcing that the house sells drugs, and anonymously put them on doorsteps and hope that the cops will be embarrassed and bust the place already.

Thank you for letting me vent.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Re: What to do about idiot drug dealing neighbors?

Too bad Vick Mackie's not around.

Seriously, it sounds like the cops are flat out lazy.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I got no problem with anyone owning a gun, but if you're going to point it at someone, make sure you've got the balls to use it. Too many bad things can happen when you point a gun at someone as a threat. Especially with these clowns, the way it sounds.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yeah you should only point a gun if you plan to shoot and if you plan to shoot because they are being asshole neighbors, plan to go to jail.

That's a good way to get yourself shot. Just keep calling the cops.

5. Baron Scicluna

Right now, our town's police situation is a mess. A couple of cops have been arrested in the last few years for various situations, they've gone through several chiefs.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I like the idea of the signs shaming the place. Maybe cobble up some money together with your neighbors and "anonymously" buy an ad in the paper that's noticeable. Shame the hell out of them.

7. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Here's a trick I used when a co-worker complained to me about her drug-dealing neighbors. On one of the school boards I covered, there was a city building inspector. I told him, and before you know it, this rental was getting inspected and shut down.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm with Ryan on this one, Baron. It sounds like you are letting your frustration get you to the point that you might do something foolish and dangerous.

9. Baron Scicluna

One problem with that. Real estate agent is a pretty big advertiser in our local rag.

Thanks for the idea, though.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

So the loud music has halted, right? And now, the only thing that bothers you -- other than the fact that they are hispanic and may or may not be abusing welfare -- is the honking horns?

Seems pretty mild to me.

Edit: People like Headbutt and Wolv are giving some good advice, but beware of the possible backlash.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Since the cops and real estate company won't do their job, you need to go court hopping.
    Find someone charged with arson, pay their fine, and then hire that person to burn the house down.

or just do what WolvEagle said -- get the building inspector/health department/some other local government body to come out and shut the house down for building violations, health violations, safety violations, etc.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Call Section VIII to document how many people are living there. I'm sure these women were not being truthful when the place was rented.

If you have a digital camera with a video recorder, just set it up to record one night. If the police are not interested, get in contact with the local delegate or politician.

Start documenting the license plate numbers of the people coming and going.

You know, though, this might provoke them. If they are like most deadbeats, they will pay two months rent, not pay for six months, then get evicted so they are able to live for eight months for the cost of two.

You will be there longer than they will.

Great suggestion on the building inspector.

Draft saved Draft deleted