1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to avoid when writing:

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by subhead, Jan 23, 2007.

1. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Avoid an opening sentence that's 50 words long. Guy at my last shop did it all the time and never understood what was wrong with it. And now he's teaching others how to do it. aghghg!

2. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I don't think that's a very good hard and fast rule.

3. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I always thought this, too. Where I now work, they insist on today, tomorrow and yesterday.

4. ARD

ARD Member

You don't really need "improved to," either. "Is" works fine when you just need a couple of more words deleted to fit the line in.

5. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

If you use the phrase "on the season" in a newspaper, not only should you be fired, you should have to serve a one-year sentence listening to 24-hour sports talk radio, where "on the season" is spouted as often as misinformed opinion.

6. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

How do you screw up volleyball? If the winning team drops two games and wins three, you have to put the losing scores first: 20-25, 23-25, 25-19, 25-21, 15-10. Or 25-20, 23-25, 19-25, 25-18, 15-7.

7. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

some people are just stupid

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, the thing is, this is lockbolt style for many newspapers.

So I wouldn't say don't use "yesterday" or "tomorrow." That might be what you're supposed to use.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the same vein as "on the season," keep an eye open for using "in victory" or "in defeat." Chances are you can lop those words off.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Joining "on the season" in Writing Hell should be its bastard cousins "on the year" and "on the game."

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Adverbs come cheap.

"Very" sucks.

11. Dale Cooper

Dale Cooper Member

Never, ever, ever describe something as "special."

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I avoid using that sentence altogether. There are plenty of places you can insert the record without using an entire sentence on it. "Racine (13-4) expanded its lead in the conference to four games over idle Rockford." "At 32-8, the Suns are on a pace that would leave them xxxx wins short of the Bulls' 72-10 mark. "

Draft saved Draft deleted