1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to avoid when writing:

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by subhead, Jan 23, 2007.

1. subhead

subhead Member

I know I've seen similar posts, but some of these are always worth repeating. This site is always best in cases such as the FOI forum and when people post useful Web sites etc.

This topic is for things to avoid when writing.

Such as extra words.
    Don't put: "The team improved to 4-1 on the season."
    Put: "The team improved to 4-1."
    Granted, best case is to put the record in parentheses somewhere.

Put the winning score first. Mainly this is an SID sin, but many do it wrong for volleyball. Always put the winning score first.

Use "it" when referring to the school name and "they" for the mascot. I know, many like "it" all the time.

OK, there's some, anyone have other points?

2. Never put a score before the final score.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Any score. Not a halftime score or a final score from three days ago.

4. I thought that's what I was saying, but yes.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Just to clarify, that is not an SID sin because SIDs don't know any better. It is likely they have been told by a higher-up, who is not familiar with stats or media practices, that they should always list Podunk U's score first. Many SIDs cringe at this.

6. subhead

subhead Member

Gotch'ya.

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Most of the SIDs I worked with in the business DID know better; oftentimes, we were told by higher-ups to do stuff that was polar opposite of AP style, or not what the media needed or just went against common sense. We would argue our case -- to deaf ears, usually -- and do what we were told. We had to pick our battles, sometimes.

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

And my wording above was not clear: SIDs do know better, therefore it is not a sin of ignorance. I agree with Flip.

9. subhead

subhead Member

I was just saying it's usually college releases that have it wrong.

10. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

Although myriad is overused, if you're going to use it, write "myriad" not "a myriad of"

From dictionary.com:

"Throughout most of its history in English myriad was used as a noun, as in a myriad of men. In the 19th century it began to be used in poetry as an adjective, as in myriad men. Both usages in English are acceptable."

So, they're both acceptable, but one saves you two words.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Please avoid "yesterday" and "tomorrow." Be specific (and yes, "today" is specific.")

12. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

How about not beginning a sentence with a period of time? As in, "On Tuesday, the Hawks lost their star player..." or "Last year, the Blue Demons finished with a 10-20 record."

Draft saved Draft deleted