1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What time does a 3 p.m. game start?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, May 17, 2007.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I love reading conversations between people at the same game.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I got to the junior high baseball game 15 minutes before it started. The kids were glad to see me; some of them I've covered since their Little League All Star days. Strange game between rivals. Enjoyable to cover, got some good shots, too. So, a 4 p.m. baseball, for me, starts at 3:45 in the p.m.

3. At least there's free pizza. And I've managed to get some work done.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

One of the guys here wanted me to write a lead on the "shat" game and its conclusion...Ooops. Pow. Surprise.

5. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

We can certainly do something about that.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Middle school baseball? Yikes, man. I couldn't imagine having to put up with the parents in that, let alone covering it.

7. Songbird

KY, actually, the parents here are cool. And like I said, I've seen most of these kids since their LL All Star days. It's tough to abandon them till they get to high school. I kind of feel like a dad at this point, having seen the boys mature during the last 4 years. And, this is a baseball-rich area, so they're fundamentally sound. It's a nice diversion from covering high school games all the time. It was overcast and cool, but baseball is baseball no matter the level. If you love the game you'll sit through anything.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm not disagreeing. And I love baseball, so I'd probably be able to sit through it. I just don't know about having to cover it...

9. Songbird

I know where you're coming from. I cover high schools so intensely during the school year that it's nice to cover something that isn't cutthroat. Today's game was fun and filled with so much excitement. Part of working for a weekly means mixing it up a little. I'm going to do a MLB-type boxscore, which everyone here loves, be it varsity, JV or junior high. They only take a few minutes to build, and the memories last a lifetime. Can't tell you how many parents have said how much they love seeing those boxscores.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Oh. Yay. Miss Defensive Struggle is back.

11. Songbird

Slappy, who's that?

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

her

Draft saved Draft deleted