1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What time do you show up?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Check out "Major change in our newsroom. But how did THIS happen?" thread, unless you're being sarcastic. In that case, this newbie is a dumbass.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

UT is neither a n00b nor a dumbass.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

The people here place a high premium on Being In the Office, so I usually have to be in here by 1 or 1:30 p.m. On a heavy Friday or Saturday, I might be able to get away with 2 p.m.

A half hour for high schools, an hour for small colleges and two hours for anything else is my rule of thumb.

-----------------

Trey, unless you're at a p.m. or you do news on top of sports, you most definitely should polish up the resume.

4. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I'm a hurry-and-wait kind of guy. I'm always worried I'm going to hit the worst traffic jam in the history of man kind if I have to travel very far (25 miles or more) for a game. I just bring a magazine to pass the time. I've shown up an hor before a high school football game before and was bored to death but I felt at ease because I was there.
    If it's an in-town game, 20 minutes before for prep stuff, 1 to 1 1/2 hours for college.

For NFL games, I get there earlier for the grub, sorry write-brained!

5. mojo20205

mojo20205 Member

I cover preps and a semi-pro football team.

For preps, especially hoops and football, I like to get there early just to get situated in the press box/table and make sure some obscure fifth-string high school/band member scorekeeper dosen't get my seat. I also like to watch the teams warm-up, try to pick up anything that might spice up the gamer if the game itself is a stinker. Never hurts to get there early.

For this semi-pro football team, its a different story. The roster changes by the day, along with the numbers and positions -- real pain in the ass beat.

Get there two hours before kick, and since there are no stats guys for the team, I devise my little system on about five sheets of paper, along with the running play-by-play. Then wait, and wait...

Lucky I'm usually the only one in the box other than the PA guy. Put in a chew and relax.

But really, I like to get to games early, watch the crowd fall in, look for players warming up and whether they looks loose or tense -- just take in the atmosphere because everyone is different for every single game.

You can get a lot of material for a gamer or a notebook column just by doing that.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I wish I could get there that early but I'm the editor of the whole damn paper. Even for a community weekly, I can't be out of the office that long.

For the desk part of my job, I'm usually there around 9:30 a.m. Our deadline to get the paper to the printer is 6 p.m. on Tuesdays. My predecessor used to get in around noon or 1 p.m. even on Tuesdays.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I'm pretty sure Jeremy was calling himself a dumbass for missing potential sarcasm.

8. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Thanks, Some guy. That was what I was going for. Making fun of myself and calling myself a newbie, since this is my sixth post

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i sure hope he was.

10. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Surprised no one has mentioned the NHL by now...here the drill is significantly different, as you get your best stuff from the morning skate (generally 10 am for the home team, 11:30 for the visitor).....use the interim for leisurely knocking out notebook, wandering around town for an eatery, then back into the building...minor league pux and baseball, I prefer to have 2-3 hrs, but my travel doesn't always make that possible...still BP is a must, whether in MLB or the minors...

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Seemed obvious to me, but maybe I'm just a savant ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted