1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What time do you show up?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jul 24, 2007.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

For most of my game stories, I like to try to get there at least an hour early, though I've sometimes been known to make it about half an hour early.

I still remember how pissed I was when I got to a first round NCAA women's lacrosse tournament game only five minutes before the opening draw control. To make it worse, I didn't find the media tent with free sandwiches and drinks until after the game and after I'd already paid for food.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

You're an unethical sonofabitch for even thinking of eating the free food [/writebrained]

3. chazp

chazp Active Member

At least 30 minutes early for preps. 2 hours for college games.

4. Totally agree with getting there as early as you could. And I just like being at places early because you never know what's going to happen. For 7 p.m. minor league baseball games, I used to get there between 3:30 and 4 p.m. For a 1 p.m. game and usually no on-field batting practice, 11 a.m. Only time I used to walk in just when the first pitch was thrown was those lovely 9 a.m. starts!

For college basketball, I was there about 2 hours before and usually an hour before a prep game just so I could rosters if need be, etc.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

For no real reason -- well, other than the obligatory "everyone else comes in early" -- I've gotta be here by 8 a.m. :-\ :eek: ::)

If I stick around and cover, say, a prep hoops game, that's a 13-hour day. No wonder my productivity sucks 99.9% of the time.

Maybe I should get working on that resume ...

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

As early as possible.

7. audreyld

audreyld Guest

write-brained has a problem with eating the food?

8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Depends on whether or not I have something I want to go after before the game, but generally 45 min - an hour for preps, 2 hours for anything bigger (college).

9. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I have this really bad habit of showing up to prep games just before they start, which is a pain the ass for everybody involved regarding the lineup when it's softball/baseball.

10. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

High school football: I usually show up about ..."and the home of the brave."

that's about the only time I get out of the office and even then, I've worked four hours in the office before I get to leave to go to the game.

11. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I like to get to college hoops games roughly 1 1/2 hours prior to tip. That's enough time to stake out a spot, eat, read the notes, get situated and watch warm-ups without feeling overly rushed.

12. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

College football: Usually try to park 2hrs before kick. By the time the media shuttle picks me up, get my computers/work area set up and check out that the spread that leaves about 90 min. With that time I usually do a walkaround the stadium and parking lots looking for unique people and tailgates for notebook story. By the time you make it back to the press box and type up your items, it's basically kickoff. On the road I try to get to games 2 1/2 hours before kickoff just in case I get lost on the way to the stadium or media lot is hard to find.

College basketball: about an hour before. Set up my computer in workroom, stakeout my press row seat, read the other team's notes, watch some other games in the workroom and then it's game time.

Draft saved Draft deleted