1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What the.......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by donronnie, Aug 11, 2006.

1. donronnie

donronnie New Member

I cover a lower level Division I-A football program. Wanted to do an off-beat feature on the abundance of tattoos on the team. There are some good ones. Something short and sweet with good graphics and pics. Just to mix it up. SID said I can't do the story and won't allow me to talk to players about it. Come on. Do I really have to do the story? No. But how do you let anyone tell you what or what you can't write. What do I do now? Thanks for the help.

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

I say fuck him and ask the kids about their tats anyway. I'm sure they'll love to talk about them. How's the SID going to stop you? Does he/she sit in on every interview?

Of course, I don't have to deal with said SID on a daily basis.

3. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Two thoughts:
    1. Why would you tell the SID what you're writing about?
    2. Why would you listen the the SID and let him dictate what's in your paper?

Just write it.

4. Jersey_Shore

Jersey_Shore New Member

Write the story.

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

Answer to 1. I can see telling the SID because maybe he can help you set up some sort of photo shoot or make sure you get one-on-one time with a kid in demand or with a tight schedule.

Answer to 2. There is none. You wouldn't. Fuck him and do the story anyway.

6. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

If there's any way to interview them without going through the SID, do it. Sounds like a good story.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd be interested to hear what Just_an_SID has to say about this.

Could be a fun story. I think it's an even better story in basketbal. The tats are so visible, I think readers would be intersted to hear why they players have them or what they signify, if anything.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

My guess is a few of the players have some less-than-upstanding tats -- curse words, naked ladies, swastikas (for the ed norton followers).
    I remember seeing a pretty prominent college player a few years back who had hate across his back.

9. donronnie

donronnie New Member

Actually, all of the tats are clean. But thanks for everyone's advice. I'm writing the story on principle. The thing is this SID is so paranoid that he may have already briefed the players. And yes, he stands in on many interviews. I'm going to have one of our photo take some tat shots on the down low and I have a small digital and might get a posed shot or something. In the end, because of the lack of cooperation from the SID, the story won't be as good as it should. But I'm writing it. I will get back to you all. Again, thanks for writing..

10. greenie

greenie Member

Lower-level DIs need all the pub they can get. The SID is in no position to try to dictate coverage. What's he gonna do -- limit your access the rest of the season? Fine ... just let the AD know why you're drastically reducing the coverage in the paper. End of problem.

Just make sure your boss has your back.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Stands in on your interviews? That's a bigger problem.
    Dude, I got it from here. Thanks for your help. Now get lost.

Something like that.

Nothing worse than a control freak SID.

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Not to shit on your story idea, but I've noticed lately that a lot of stories lead with "The tattoo on xxxxxx's back/shoulder/neck is of a name/Chinese character/face. This is what it means to him." as a way to lead into a profile. It's starting to become a cliche.

Draft saved Draft deleted