1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What the hell's going on at Iowa?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Is the identity of the female athlete known? Even off the record? Or are they keeping the identity under wraps?

Not asking her name, just curious to know if "everyone knows" who's involved and how that has affected her career as an Iowa athlete.

2. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I will bet you this shit happens in about 100 of 116 D-1 programs.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

No it really doesn't.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bookmark

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I've only heard what sport she participated in (and I've heard a couple of different sports).

It is interesting to note that former basketball player Pierre Pierce's first rape victim back in 2002 was also a female athlete, that one at an off-campus apartment.

As I said earlier, the university and Ferentz haven't handled this well. Just a few years after the way the university and then-coach Steve Alford handled the Pierce incident, you would think someone would have learned a lesson.

6. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

Thanks D-3 for a factual account.

My one question: Isn't the university exposing itself to tremendous liability by taking on a law enforcement function through the taking of a sexual assault report? Through the administration?

Realize it's Iowa and understand the role the Hawkeyes play in the psyche of the state. But if I'm a state legislator or the attorney general, this is wonderful time for some political nut-cutting.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

My understanding is that many universities have this in house vs. cops option for dealing with on-campus incidents, not just Iowa and not just with athletics. But I could be wrong.

8. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

When in loco parentis goes bad ....

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't think it's uncommon either. However, if the mother's letter is accurate the president, legal counsel and one of the assistant ADs sure look like they'll be looking for work.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Iowa WR Dominique Douglass has no idea. He also can't tell you where the money came from.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://bp1.blogger.com/_7OC0YbG2fek/R8VLV5jDhMI/AAAAAAAAFGM/C6fv_LQV6VE/s400/Douglascash.jpg&imgrefurl=http://thewizardofodds.blogspot.com/2008/02/its-all-about-benjamins.html&h=332&w=400&sz=35&tbnid=nkDsxQ9CtE8J::&tbnh=103&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddominique%2Bdouglas&hl=en&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=5&ct=image&cd=1

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Chapter No. 957 quintizillion as to why in 97% of these cases, as soon as the story is determined to be legitimate (which usually takes about 15 minutes), the best move for the coach, AD, and school is to boot the perp off the team, out of school, off of campus, and feed them directly to the criminal authorities.

The hilarious part is that most of the time, these guys are marginal players. Why the fuck go through all that heartache, put your reputation and maybe your coaching job on the line, for marginal players? If they're All-Americans, at least I can see the payoff. If they're mediocre players, what's the point??

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

So it's OK to try and get a player off the hook for rape if he's All-America?

Draft saved Draft deleted