1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What the hell's going on at Iowa?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jul 22, 2008.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Apologies if I'm DBing, but a search turned up nothing. Allegedly some Iowa football players sexually assulted a female athlete ... and Kirk Ferentz and her AD asked her to keep it on the down low.

http://www.press-citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080719/NEWS01/807190322/1079

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm sure D-3Fan can fill us in but from what I'm hearing it sounds like the problem lies more with the AD and school administration than with Ferentz himself.

Reading the letter from the victim's mother I think the campus staff that looked into this come off looking a whole lot worse than Ferentz.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Looks like there might be another AD opening in the Big 10...

4. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Kirk needs to get his shit together on the field.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Isn't trying to convince alleged sexual assault victims to keep it quiet or not report it at all SOP for coaches and ADs?

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Gary Barnett doesn't see the big deal.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

JB will have more info on all of this than I will. I can only make hack guesses because there's too much speculation and wild shit going on for it to stay in sync.

The public version is this: two FB players talking to female athlete outside of dorm room last fall. Reportedly, she was drunk and then all three head up to the players dorm room. (Note: IIRC, Hillcrest Hall is mainly an athlete's dorm).

Shit goes down, and the UI cops, Iowa City PD, and IA Div. of Criminal Investigation comes in to gather evidence, but they are not talking.

Johnson County Attorney (Iowa version of the DA) asks for records and evidence to be sealed. It was, and she asked fand received two more extensions to keep them sealed (that's probably why the mother is pissed off about getting no response from UI officials when she sent the previous letters during the timeline noted in the story: UI couldn't say shit about it by order of the CA.)

Parents and coach of victim have a sit down with AD Barta and Ferentz. Barta and administration requested to do an in-house investigation and the parents agreed. Mother decides to write letters and got no response. She gets pissed and fires one off to the IC Press-Citizen and that's where we're at now.

Ferentz booted both players from the team and both of them head home after the incident, but other athletes continue to badger the female athlete victim. Mother felt that her daughter wasn't being protected by the school.

The letter in question ends up in the hands of the Board of Regents on Friday. Yesterday, the chairman acts "shocked" about the president not turning over the letter to them when she received it. The asshole had an entire weekend to read the entire thing in advance of the story going public by the Press-Citizen.

It's a lot more than Kirk getting his shit together on the field. The UI administration has historically done things with cloak and dagger, and sometimes with the Board of Regents to conduct things in private.

It doesn't mean much, but regardless how much discipline Ferentz has placed on the team, the players continue to keep acting like fucking idiots and some have gotten booted off the team. Just this past weekend, an incoming frosh from S. Dakota got caught underage drinking and leads a foot chase, with eight cops in pursuit.

Some fans think there's a coverup, but the County Attorney shot that theory down quickly. Right now, it's an issue of "she (mother) said, they (school) said" and the two players have submitted not guilty pleas and a trial date is to be set before the season starts.

To answer your question, Ace, the assault policy stipulates that the victim has two options in which to report the assault: 1: inform the police; or 2: notify university authorities.

I can only speculate that the victim and her parents were unsure whether to call the ICPD or tell the school. By having the sit-down, administration encouraged them to let the school do the in-house investigation.

Here's the policy: http://www.uiowa.edu/~vpss/policies/v/f.shtml#main

Just in: the BOR will reopen their investigation into the case. Would like to see how the Regents are going to deal with this since Mike Gartner isn't on the board anymore.

8. bueller

bueller Member

I thought this was going to be about the incoming freshman who went streaking, Old School style.

http://media.www.dailyiowan.com/media/storage/paper599/news/2008/07/21/Metro/Hawkeye.Football.Recruit.Reportedly.Leads.Police.On.Foot.Chase-3392872.shtml

9. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Nope. Something much, much worse.

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Is this Heaven?
    No, this is just my bedroom.

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

She wasn't even *that* good a placekicker

12. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

It's a disaster. It sounds poorly handled from the beginning. And after the Alford/Pierre Pierce debacles, you would think the university would have learned.

The continued discipline problems are piling up, and Ferentz is getting a lot of heat. As he should.

We get our first crack at him Thursday at Big Ten media days. That should be fun.

I'm wondering if he looks in the mirror every day and thinks, "Shit, I should have answered one of those NFL calls when I had the chance."

Draft saved Draft deleted