1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What the hell just happened? (earthquake)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Aug 23, 2011.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Been talking about it for years. That and the Big One in SoCal.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Charlottesville is 50 miles from Mineral. All the networks have affiliates there and it's the first day of classes at UVa. Pretty sure they could get reacts from there without a ton of effort.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Actually, only a couple have affiliates in CVL, if it's that many. But Richmond is 50 miles in the other direction and has all of them.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Exactly. Amateurs. Let's keep the focus on New York and now have someone on MSNBC report from ... Detroit.

Where's Jerry Dunphy when you need him? Or at least Tritia Toyota.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It was a 5.8 but the Tea Party downgraded it to a 4.5, claiming the Liberal Elite overstated the case.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Does Jim Cantore do earthquakes?

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm on Long Island and I absolutely felt it. Wall units shook briefly.

Downstairs neighbor didn't feel a thing. Go figure.

In related news, has anyone heard from Poindexter? #ClassicSJMeme

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Glad you're OK, but the bobblehead thing is a really funny mental image. :)

9. We are 350 miles away by highway - less as the crow flies - but we felt it... They evacuated buildings all over the place here.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We're in downtown Manhattan. It was pretty strong. People were freaking out on the stairs when the building was being evacuated.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Roger Goodell's going to suspend Terrelle Pryor another three games for this.

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Our chain's main paper - a twice-a-week paper - was due to be sent at 2 p.m. The paper's editor is on vacation, so once we figured out what happened, I asked our production manager if we could hold it to get something on the front so I could make some changes.
    He gave me 20 minutes and we got what we could. Best part was when our reporter called the local FEMA people two minutes after it happened and they said they didn't have anything. They called her back 15 minutes later and said that yes, there were tremors here in RI.
    Editorial assistant looked at me and said "thank god you're here" because our editor wouldn't have tried to do anything.
    Fun times over here for us.

Draft saved Draft deleted