1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What the hell just happened? (earthquake)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Aug 23, 2011.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Rhody and I are about 12 miles apart here in Rhode Island. He felt it. I didn't.

Weak.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

If you're right on top of a 5.0, yeah, you're going to notice it pretty good. A 5.9 within 150 miles is a good shaker. I expect to see stuff off shelves in the Richmond/Charlotesville area.

Be safe everyone.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Was sweeping the floor in the kitchen here in Toledo...didn't feel a damn thing.
    I must have a quake-proof apartment.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

My buddy in the UVa football office said he was on a ladder changing a projector when it hit.

5. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

I'm currently about 20 miles north of Philadelphia and definitely felt it. No damage, though.

My parents are about another 40 miles northeast of here and they felt it too.

All the best to those near the epicenter. A 6.0 quake is nothing to sneeze at to begin with. And those of us on the East Coast, not to mention our infrastructure, are not used to earthquakes of any significance.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Didn't feel it either and I'm something like 5 kms from HC's office

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And we're in full-blown over-reaction mode in DC and New York.

Californians are laughing their asses off right now.

8. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Had a relative message me on facebook asking me if my gulf coast home had fallen into the water. Easterners just aren't used to earthquakes.

I blame Obama.

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Felt it in CT, hardly much of anything though.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

We were at our table eating lunch and my wife looked at me and said, "What did you do?" I said I had nothing to do with our apartment shaking. She said I looked "guilty" and didn't believe me, until she went online and saw the news.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Sorry Armchair, we've all been too busy getting ready to overreact to a hurricane to bother with earthquake preps.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I was in the bathroom at my office in western Richmond. I was really hoping that wasn't how I was going out.

Draft saved Draft deleted