1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What the hell is wrong with people?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/story?id=3976074&page=1

Didn't see this anywhere.

This makes me sick.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Undoubtedly, a major-league ass-kicking might adjust your attitude, Mr. Jones.

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I think it goes without saying that if that were my kid... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Some people are just stupid. Very, very stupid.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

How the hell do people like this ever get accepted to a college. Shouldn't they be sweeping streets with brooms or something?

On second thought, that's an insult to street sweepers.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

This is the line that stops me dead. His parents must be soooo proud.

6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Unflippin believable.

They showed a clip of this guy on Fox News and he compared what he did to if he had made a private sex tape.

They're interviewing a kid from VT right now.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think there was a thread about this a while ago, but it got buried. Not that they don't deserve to get ripped all over again.

8. BBJones

BBJones Guest

How is this any different from Bill Mahar showing up dressed as Steve Irwin, complete with stingray attached to him, shortly after Irwin died? Other than these were stupid kids trying to be funny and failing?

The made an error in taste and judgement. They didn't kill anyone. Or dogs.

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

BBJ, I don't know much about the incident you cited, but trying to be funny at the expense of immense pain and suffering is not funny.

It's sick. It shows an incredible lack of compassion.

What disturbs me about this idiot is his complete absence of remorse, of shame. His attitude seems to be, "Yes I did it and I don't give a g-d if it hurts anyone. It's all about me, so FU."

This goes way beyond an error in taste and judgment. An error in taste and judgment is wearing jeans to a black tie dinner. It's wearing a Vikings jersey to a Packer party. It's shouting "I love the Yankees!" in a Red Sox bar.

This is not an error in taste and judgment. This is selfishness, callousness and narcissism at its worst.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

We really should have a 'What the hell is wrong with people' running thread ... it could be one of the longest, because people are that stupid.

11. BBJones

BBJones Guest

Rosie, I agree with everything you say. But it's also the way some people deal with pain and suffering. They crack wise or, in extreme cases, wear very poorly chosen halloween costumes.

Because the world has been shrunken so by the Internet, we all get to see the kids' stupidity. Not just these kids, but almost all of them. Do something stupid, someone 1,500 miles away will likely see it tomorrow. This excuses no one, of course, but it does change things quite a bit. Ten years ago people probably did stuff every bit as short-sighted, but nobody outside of their line of sight found out.

And what of that? Someone else took that picture and posted it on a Web site. Are they not somehow complicit? And is what a kid wore to a Halloween party actually news? When Mahar dressed up as Steve Irwin, it was news. He's a public figure and a comedian whose job it is to be funny (and he failed that time, like he does most of the time).

But these were college kids, whose job it seemingly is to be stupid (evidenced by the lack of apparent remorse). It was probably not the best choice, but if college kids stopped making poor choices, what else would they do with their time?

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted