1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What the hell is James Franco doing on General Hospital?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Dec 31, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

You are on crack. Kelly Monaco is so far ahead of the field, she's lapping Julie Marie. And you don't even have Sonny's new flame, or the hottest 50-something on Planet Earth, Alexis, on the list. Good Lord, she is smoking hot.

So to answer the question, yeah, it's performance art, or something, which would make sense, since it doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

Shit. I've said too much.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm glad somebody else didn't get Pineapple Express either. It wasn't the worst hour and 45 minutes I've ever endured, but I expected so, so, so much more.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

1) the other Robin with boobs
    2) Yeah, her
    3) Robin
    4) ehh
    5) Robin with boobs.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

General Hospital was better when they had shit like freeze-rays on there.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Fixed.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I just read that article. My New Year's resolution is to smoke whatever James Franco is smoking.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Whatever he's doing on "General Hospital," he certainly is ambitious about life in general. From the tag:

He is currently enrolled in NYU's MFA filmmaking program and Columbia's MFA program for fiction writing.

How tough do you think it would be to simultaneously work on master's degrees at two separate universities while maintaining an acting career? The mind boggles.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I give the guy a ton of credit, but I'm not getting the GH gig at all. I'd get it if he was just trying to dabble in all the forms of the medium, but performance art? I'm not watching this going "Wow, James Franco is a psychotic murderer!" or "Wow, James Franco is pushing the boundaries." I just don't get it. Of course, I am an idiot.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm not getting it either. That article really is over my head. Prior to reading it (or what passed for reading it, since I was completely lost for the most part), I would have thought acting, by definition, is performance art. Obviously I don't know nearly enough about it.

10. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Hmm. Maybe he's doing it so he can keep acting in some manner while attending school in NYC. I don't imagine General Hospital is quite as demanding as being the lead in a movie or similar project.

Otherwise...yeah, it really doesn't make sense.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Pineapple Express was awful.
    On The Soup, Joel McHale asked if Franco being on the soap opera was because of a lost bet, or a gigantic joke.
    The most telling line was at the end. In three days, they filmed enough of him to be in 23 episodes.
    So this wasn't a huge investment of his time.
    Also of note, while watching the DVD commentary for Freaks and Geeks, Franco was part of it and he came across as a weird duck or very devoted to the acting craft. When he was cast on the show, he moved to Michigan and lived there for a few months so he could get an idea of what life was like there.
    He said some other things, but that's what stands out.

Draft saved Draft deleted