1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What the hell is happening? Now, USPS is offering buyouts

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The U.S. Postal Service is offering early retirement - without incentives or bonuses - to thousands of clerks, mail handlers and supervisors.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I blame Al Gore and his new fangled interweb

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

You can't blame AG for everyone being in a buyout frenzy. That's not fair.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Many smaller, rural newspapers are delivered via mail carriers. As those papers die, there's less need for mail carriers.

Either that or UPS and FedEx and e-mail are the problem.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Holy smoke. That's more telling than the three new posts on JTO daily about a metro offering buyouts and/or kicking good people out the door.

USPS has never had a problem making money ... and given the gobs of junk mail, online orders and eBay and such, I thought would still be making halfway decent money. They certainly adjusted their rates when gasoline went stratospheric.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Interesting.

I actually started checking online for carrier openings about two months ago (partly out of curiosity, partly because of an impending Zell hammer).

I checked my state (Florida), and just for the hell of it, New York and California.

In two months, 0 carrier openings in any state.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Wait a minute....are people catching on to the idea that a lot of businesses are struggling in this economy. You mean....could it be....that it's not just newspapers having hard times? Wow.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Uh, I think it's probably a bigger deal that people pay a lot of their bills online and make their charitable contributions online and send pictures of the grandkids by e-mail and have free long distance on their cell phones and that sort of thing.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

And Smasher swings and misses. Again.

10. Smasher_Sloan

What the fuck are you talking about?

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Highlighted the entire quote when I meant to highlight that last part.

12. Smasher_Sloan

And what is your point? I was disputing the notion posted by someone else that hick town newspapers were a major factor in this.

Draft saved Draft deleted