1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What the hell do I buy for a one-year old?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Kaylee, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

A one day spa treatment for the kid's mom.

2. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Starbucks gift card.

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Buy the parents a gift card to Olive Garden, Applebees or someplace like that and offer to babysit. The kid doesn't likely need anything. The parents, on the other hand, would probably love a night out.

5. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

In all seriousness, Idaho's take is right on. My niece is close to 5 months and when she was born I went the Savings Bond route. I will likely do the same until she's in high school, in addition to other little gifts that are age appropriate...

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Books.

Lots of good board books, cloth books, books of nursery rhymes and fairy tales suitable for that age group.

7. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Ear plugs for teething.

For the parents.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

When my nephew turned 1, they both got board books from me, and I offered to babysit (while in town) for a night so their parents could go out. I assume I'll do the same for the third one in 10 months.

A savings bond isn't a bad idea either. I was given a bunch of those over the years and it made a decent dent in my freshman year tuition.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Right now a 10-year bond is yielding 4.745%, and you guys are saying they aren't a bad idea?? The Vanguard 500 has returned 54 percent since April 9, 1997.

Edit: I didn't adjust for inflation. It's 24.3% after inflation of 6%/year.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

We're journalists. The amount we have to invest isn't worth the hassle of broker, et al.

11. Parents always like it when you buy their little kids toy drums or any toy that makes lots of noise

Draft saved Draft deleted