1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What the Heck is Going On at Iowa?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That is a pretty interesting report JD. You learn something new everyday- "Triceps Compartment Syndrome"

Seems like this all comes down to trying to look good in those rubber bicep bands and avoiding bingo arms.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Mayo doctor thinks there is more to the story.

Fanboi url aside, this is from the DM Register. Tom Witosky is one of their investigative reporters.

http://hawkcentral.com/2011/01/27/did-other-factors-affect-stricken-hawkeyes/

Graves was asked whether the inability to find a common thread among the cases while hospitalized is unusual.

“Yes. That says that the kids aren’t telling you what happened on the weekend,” he said. “That says there is more to the story than the workouts. There is more going on that they aren’t telling us about … something else that sensitized them, perhaps, to the workout on Monday, and that is what tripped them into rhabdomyolysis.”

4. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Fixed. :D

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If this happened at Michigan to Rich Rod the media would have been calling for his immediate expulsion.

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Not to downplay the current situation at all, but if Ferentz could survive all the legal problems his players were having 3-4 years ago, I'm thinking he will survive this. I was in Iowa when the previous stuff went down and things were brutal, yet he's still there. Not saying that's right or wrong, but giving some perspective to this.

7. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

It is strange and bizarre that so many players developed rhabdomyolysis at the same time and there may be nefarious actions that predisposed them to their illness, but it irresponsible for a physician to insinuate allegations in an interview without first hand knowledge. One should not get a free ride just by prefacing opinion by admitting they had not examined the patients or reviewed the records. The opinions add little and are no different than the players piling on Jay Cutler prior to knowledge of his injury.

8. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Couple of updates from today:

• Ferentz finally said something public, issuing a statement that five of the players have been released from the hospital. No press conference scheduled with him or the AD, which means next Wednesday's signing day presser (which hasn't officially been announced yet) will be a circus.

• University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics officials said that medical records for some of the hospitalized football players may have been viewed by people who didn't have proper authorization.

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

That might more repercussions than anything else in this whole mess.

10. Gues#t

Gues#t Guest

I'm surprised this story hasn't drawn more attention across the board. This isn't like mass hysteria, it seems to me. I'm no doc, but something happened that has been insufficiently explained. Youth wants to know...

11. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=125237
    http://www.emedicinehealth.com/rhabdomyolysis/article_em.htm

It's a littleself serving, but here is a little background on the subject

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Apologies for quoting myself, but looks like some hospital employees are now unemployed.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-02-03/iowa-hospital-employees-fired-over-hawkeyes-medical-records-breaches

Draft saved Draft deleted