1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What the Heck is Going On at Iowa?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 26, 2011.

1. His kid got arrested for some underage alcohol-related offense a couple years back. Given that he doesn't have a handle on what his college-age son is up to, why would he keep tabs on the rest of the team?

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Could be the piles of cash and drugs.

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Kirk Ferentz finally comes back from his recruiting trip. The parents of the hospitalized players were waiting. It wasn't a happy welcome.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/feed/2011-01/hawkeyes-in-hospital/story/hawkeyes-players-test-negative-for-illegal-drugs-parents-confront-coach-kirk-fer

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Don't see how Iowa can keep Ferentz after this.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

No, no. IT'S DIVISION I FOOTBALL!!!!!!

6. JBHawkEye

There would be a riot from the fan base if that would happen. You should have seen some of the comments that were e-mailed to me this morning after I wrote on my blog it was embarrassing that he didn't come back from his recruiting trip until yesterday. For that matter, you should check out the message boards — one fan thinks all of our stories should be approved by the university before we publish them.

The fans love him, the AD loves him.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

So fan base is going to let him off the hook. It makes Iowa President and AD look weak.

How do you feel ? Is it a resignable transgression?

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

JB,
    I read somewhere (maybe Dr. Saturday) that this was a workout the Hawkeyes had run before without any problems. Is that true?

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I've heard that too. And that it's one that other teams use as well.

I still think that there had to be some sort of drug/PED issue that contributed to this.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

That's what a lot of people suspected here in August. The state invoked powers to investigate it as an epidemic and, in its report, essentially said there was no evidence of high levels of creatine from anything except the combination of exercise intensity and extreme temperature. We learned extreme cold can play a role too.

11. JBHawkEye

I can't see him resigning. He's got it made here — huge salary and perks, the fans love him, the AD backs him. Unless there is some serious coaching malpractice here, the storm will eventually blow over.

The AD already looks weak. This is the guy who last March let the men's basketball coach twist for three days after the Hawkeyes' season ended before firing him. Rather than dump him the day after they were eliminated from the Big Ten Tournament, he cans him on the following Monday. Why? AD claimed he had to stay in Indianapolis for Big Ten "meetings."

I just don't know enough to have an opinion on what happened with the players. I do think Ferentz should have been back in town as soon as possible, and the AD should have never left on a fundraising trip. Their absence has turned this into a PR train wreck.

12. JBHawkEye

Yeah, the workouts were something they had done before, and they've never had an issue.

There isn't an illegal drug issue with this — every player hospitalized reportedly tested negative. There might be an issue, though, with usage of unapproved supplements.

Board of Regents has given the university 90 days to determine what happened. I can't wait to a.) see the results and b.) see who the sacrificial lamb will be.

Draft saved Draft deleted