1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What the Heck is Going On at Iowa?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 26, 2011.

1. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

This kind of happening infuriates me. The bullshit workouts that supposed strength and conditioning experts inflict on college football players are often atrocious. And don't tell me that they have to do it to make the kids "tough" -- it's JANUARY!

Every spring these meatheads run the players... errr, student-athletes...ragged and then hope against hope they actually do something over the summer.

It's easy to design effective workouts without blood drills, or their modern equivalent.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This story comes on the heels of several of Iowa's best players being suspended for the bowl game supposedly for drug use, after one of the players was arrested on a charge of dealing. This month, a former player pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor assault charge in exchange for testifying against another former player, who was acquitted of a felony sexual assault charge. That case stemmed from three years ago when a woman alleged she was raped and athletic department officials, including Ferentz, tried to sweep the case under the rug; they delayed the investigation for months and months until the regents finally realized the athletic department's intentional deception.

I'd say the program is out of control and Ferentz's firing would be more than justified at this point.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I was surprised Derrell Johnson-Koulianos' drug charges were knocked down to just possession of marijuana this week. Dude had a pharmacy's worth of drugs on him - not to mention coke.

I wonder if authorities can give him a buzz and maybe make him sing a little because of the plea. Might be worth looking into performance enhancers in this situation.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Coffee, meet keyboard...

Well done...

5. Crash

Crash Active Member

Urban Meyer calls that Tuesday.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Mike Leach come on down.

Something fishy going on in Iowa City. With his kid on team you would think Ferentz would have a better handle on what is going on with his players.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Once again, very well done...

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

They also had some problems 2-3 years ago with arrests of players who were pictured on Facebook holding piles of cash and guns. I think the money was drug related but I could be making that up.

And yes, Ferentz has lost control. This whole thing is strange. Why Iowa? The other thing I can't understand is why does Iowa still have a great recruiting class? Why would anyone go there now?

9. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Ferentz wasn't even in town when this happened. He was on a recruiting trip, and didn't return until late yesterday afternoon, which has led to quite a bit of criticism. His absence, combined with the absence of the AD, led to a poorly-handled presser yesterday that featured the director of football operations, a doctor who wasn't directly involved in the treatment of the players (now up to 13), and the parent of one of the players.

It's been a PR disaster from the beginning, and there's going to have to be some explaining to do.

Yesterday, by the way, gave me the first opportunity in my career to write the term "tea-colored urine."

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Beats urine-colored tea, I suppose.

11. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

That is a good point. :)

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

John Welbourn is a former NFL player who founded Crossfit Football.
    Here is his take on what happened:

http://talktomejohnnie.com/football/iowa-football-rhabdo

Some of the reader comments suggest that given the failed drug tests and other discpline problems the coaches held this workout to weed out some people.

Draft saved Draft deleted