1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What the heck has happened to Tiger Woods?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Mar 12, 2011.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I think it's the nature of the way these tournaments work. That and the fact that golf uses a MONEY LIST ranking as a cutoff for precious tour cards.

In most sports you face an opponent directly. In many it's within your power to make him play worse . . . to BEAT him. And when you walk off the field, you typically know whether you won or lost.

Webb Simpson played a nice final round of golf a couple of weeks ago. Walked off the course and watched TV to see if he would finish first, second, third or whatever.

That's just "different." Wanting to win is nice --- who doesn't want to win? --- but seeing you won on TV it's not exactly Rafael Nadal exacting revenge on Novak Djokovic, last man standing. It can't be. Not in golf. Or many Olympic sports, for that matter. You post a score or a time and, well, you just wait to see what happens.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And I know you wanted me to say something like that, because it's the truth and we're all about the truth.

But BTE talks gooder than I do.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

For some reason I found the Greenbrier playoff oddly compelling.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Me, too. Maybe because I've been there and played that course, but more likely because the two guys were such unknowns.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Oddly? I found it very.

Two no-names, one ranked about No. 500. The eventual winner seemingly blowing everything on the second playoff hole only to win it on the next hole -- after he went eagle-birdie to get into the playoff. It was good stuff only because you knew what was at stake and where these guys have been and to put themselves into that position -- way cool.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Remember though, these guys don't care about winning and are just happy to get paid according to shotty.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

They're actually good players who have been known to the kind of hardcore golf fan who reads Golf Digest or Golf World. Kelly won two Washington State Amateurs before he was 15 years old, played four years at U. of Washington and was 11th on Nationwide Tour money list last year. Potter is the best story. Father was in golf course maintenance and Mom worked at Wal-Mart in Ocala. Self-made swing and left-handed, both like Bubba Watson (not nearly as flaky as Bubba). Turned pro after high school. Great iron player, sneaky long, birdie machine when he gets going.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

That is utterly mind-boggling. And Exhibit 35 why Jack is the GOAT as I type this.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Having become a huge fan of "The Grand Slam" by Mark Frost, I'm inclined to say that Bobby Jones, with 13 majors in only 21 attempts in eight years, was the GOAT.

He won at least one major in eight consecutive years. That streak is twice as long as that of any other golfer in history.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Good on John Daly: Shoots a Sunday 65 to finish T12.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And golf was merely a hobby to him. Imagine if he had taken it as seriously as pros do now?

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Ummm... do not concur.

With the exception of Gene Sarazen and Walter Hagen, for most of his prime, Jones was going against the Al Watrus' of the world. Compare that to who Nicklaus had to contend with: Palmer, Player, Casper, Watson, Trevino, Floyd, Miller, Stockton then Norman, Faldo and Price on the tail end.

This isn't apples and oranges. It's apples and hand grenades.

Draft saved Draft deleted