1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What the general impression of John Calipari around the country?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HejiraHenry, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

If there's a man among you, got no sin upon his hand ...
    Let him cast a stone at me for, playin' in the band ...
    Playin' .............

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I hoped Kentucky would hire him for two reasons:

1.) I like Cal.

2.) I really want Kentucky to get the death penalty. And that's more likely with Cal there.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I'm not sure how much time you've spent around him or his programs, zag — could be more than me or anyone here, for all I know — but several people who have covered him for years don't share all your opinions. I've covered a handful of his games and know some of his beat guys from two stops, for what it's worth.

He is very personable to those who don't cover him on a daily basis. He is a better floor coach than given credit for, though his "dribble-drive" offense is incredibly basic and wouldn't consistently work against teams with comparable athletes.

Whether he's one of the nation's top five coaches is highly questionable, though. His team this season, for instance, would not have a great record if it played in a better conference. I'm not saying it's a bad team. It's not. It's just not nearly as good as last season's. Evans is not a natural point guard, there are no shooters like CDR and none of their big guys is anywhere near as tough as Dorsey.

John Wall will be a hell of a player if Memphis gets him committed, signed and in school next season. However, he's right there under Duke's and Carolina's noses, and neither wants any part of him. Isn't that a little weird, for such a highly-ranked guy?

4. Hammer Pants

By the way, incoming Memphis freshman Xavier Henry (6-6 guard from Oklahoma) is also a phenomenal talent.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

If neither Duke nor Carolina want any part of Wall, he's perfect for Calipari.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

... and Cleveland State emitted a sigh of relief. ;D

Actually, surprised at your UK hate, IJAG. Man, I don't even hate UK that much.

7. imjustagirl

Oh, the only things I hate worse than UK are Elway, Modell, the Ravens and Clemens.

8. Hammer Pants

Just don't hate on Atomic Cafe, or I'll have to consider you a bad person.

9. imjustagirl

You know, I only went to Atomic once.

Anyone talks crap about Joe Beth's or Joe Bologna's, though, and they go through me. :D

10. Hammer Pants

Who would talk junk about those places? Not even a USmell fan...

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

OK -- his dribble drive offense wouldn't work against top teams? Please tell me over the last three or four years who they haven't been able to play with/against? I think they have the most NCAA tournament wins over the past three years of anyone except UCLA and they were a miracle 3 from winning it all.

That's silly -- the offense is built for the talent he acquires --- which is athletic, long athletes who can take their man off the dribble.

And your point about Memphis this year is ridiculous -- they lost three pro's and they are still dominating their league. I don't care if it ain't the Big East, this isn't like they are squeeking by and are 8-6 in Conf USA - they are 14-0 and they are 26-3 and they've won 20 in a row -- they are clearly an elite team, athletically and by every other measure.

Finally to your point -- I've covered college athletics to know this -- the "local guys" or "some local guys" argument could be used for just about every coach in America --why? Because familiarity breeds contempt and after a while the witty one-liners and antecdotes that out of towners and national guys find charming or funny or whatever -- they get old, then they get annoying then they become like nails on a chalk board for those that hear them all the time.

I've had a number of dealings with Calipari and he's always been personable, accessible and honest and he's been far easier to deal with than a whole lot of douche bags out there who have had a helluva lot less success.

He ain't a saint, obviously, but he ain't the devil either.

12. John Calipari is a great person.

Let he who cannot play "You are My Sunshine " on a piano with his penis cast the frst stone.

Draft saved Draft deleted