1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What the general impression of John Calipari around the country?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HejiraHenry, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've heard all the stories. I covered the A-10 back in the day. Every time I dealt with him, he was great.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

In my unscientific study, with the one participant being my dad, the general impression of Calipari is that he's a sleaze, up there with Bob Huggins.

But I kinda like him.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

This guy wanted to kick his ass:

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Absolute scumbag.

Word had it that my alma mater was interested in him last time it had an opening. If he had ended up there, everything except my sheepskin associated with the school would have gone in a bonfire.

I've heard through at least a couple of dependable sources that he's pretty decent with the media. All went and good.

Still a scumbag.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Worldwide Wes.

FedEx internship program.

Look them up.

6. They're shining up the cell at the NCAA SuperMax for Memphis. Again.
    Anyone remember that stolen-property report from that burglary at the player's apartment a couple years back?
    The Lufthansa guys didn't do that well.

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

I will give him credit for one thing: when Camby collapsed before their game here in '96, Calipari rode in the ambulance to OGH with him and left his assistant (can't remember the name right now) to coach the game. Of course, that was the Final Four team, so they still smoked the overmatched Bonnies anyway...

Moddy, was VT in the league yet when that happened? I was thinking they came in right about the time Calipari left for the Nets. Ah well, not the first time I've been wrong about something.

8. Hammer Pants

My favorite was the backup point guard soliciting a prostitute last season.

I guess FedEx only buys sexy time for the starters.

9. Hammer Pants

In short, Calipari somehow manages to stand out in a sport full of sleezeballs.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

1. He doesn't give a shit about the rules.
    2. Excellent with the press
    3. Doesn't recruit looking for Chip Hilton, to put it mildly. But I will say this. I think Calipari does care about the players as people-not as students-but people.

11. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

When he was reportedly sniffing around these parts a few years ago for a job when the school hired a confirmed rule-breaker instead, Calipari was generally thought of as a snake-oil salesman.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Just keep in mind the ultimate measuring stick for CBB coaching sleaze:

Do the moms get houses? Do the dads get jobs?

Draft saved Draft deleted