1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What the 'f' is wrong with my camera/lens?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Apr 2, 2008.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Just working on dumping my pics onto the hard drive and was flipping through them when I noticed a HORRIBLE streak of light in every pic.

HELP!

Here are a few examples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the same 35-80mm lens I use for indoor and never had a problem. I am assuming it's a lens thing since I took indoor shots today also and it was fine. I shot in 3-4 different places so it's not like it was a freak accident. It was in all 150 shots I took. Any one ever have this happen with a lens and how can I fix it? I've used this lens for two years now and it's never done this to me, in bright light, low light, etc. I tried shielding around the lens...checked the connection to see if light was getting in...no matter what, I got a streak.

Camera gurus...please, help!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

If anything will get Songbird posting again, it's this thread.

3. gretchd

gretchd Member

Did you shoot indoor before or after you shot these?

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i miss, du.

5. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

It's a photon torpedo.

Duck and run, and I mean right now.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I asked our photogs and they were stumped. The consensus seems to be it's probably something internal with the lens. It looks too big for something like dust to be causing the problem.

Did you sink a lot of money into that lens? If not, you might just be better served ditching it and getting a better one.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

That could be something as simple as a hair on the back of the lens. Hopefully it's not a hairline crack.

8. spikechiquet

My guess is hairline crack...cause I air canistered the hell out of it this morning and still got the same results. It's not my lens...the paper owned this one, so looks like it's their dime to replace *happy dance*

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Is this a digital camera with interchangeable lenses? If so, it might not be the lens at all. It might be a dirty or scratched CCD/CMOS screen (image sensor). They're crazy sensitive, and if you've been in there with canned air or with a cloth trying to clean it, you may have scratched or smeared it. On the other hand, if the camera gets a lot of hard use, it may just need to be professionally cleaned.

If the lenses aren't interchangeable, it may be a crack in the lens housing, or a loose adjustment ring that's letting some light in; or a loose element inside the lens that's gone out of alignment if it's been banged around or dropped.

10. spikechiquet

It's interchangable and I'm sure it is the lens because I switched it out with my 300m lens and that one is fine. But I guess I'm just going to have to take it in to the pros, which sucks cause it's about 30 miles the other way from work.

11. gretchd

gretchd Member

12. spikechiquet

before and after...and there was no notice problem either time.

Draft saved Draft deleted