1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What the F happened to Deadspin?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Apr 4, 2014.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I know a lot of people here hate it, I get it.

I used to be entertained, laffing at the athlete dick pics, the You're With Me, Leather stories.

Now, it seems different. The fun seems gone.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

It's a serious news site now. :) Hey, it did break the FSU story yesterday if I'm not mistaken. I have noticed it's a lot less fun to visit these days too, but it's still the go-to place to find the latest in funny sports clips and gifs.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The Foodspin stuff is great. Drew Magary's NFL fan stuff was generally terrific.

You can't be a prankster forever. On some level, you want to make a Difference, and the balance between "aw, fuck it, more sex stuff" and "let's send the moralists back to bed" tends to lean more toward the latter.

It was always there. Deadspin always wanted to "say something." Just like Stewart and Colbert. I've lost respect for Stewart and Colbert, control freaks of the first order who really just want to make a lot of money and have everyone agree on how funny they are while not holding them at all responsible for their positions. Deadspin has more integrity, I think -- they're not trying to dodge their convictions with "it's just entertainment!" -- but establishing itself against the establishment so completely is an intellectual fascism all its own. Sometimes, the establishment is right.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Eh, they aren't exactly differentiating themselves with heavy "Richard Sherman was wronged" and "Dan Snyder is a racist" themes.

I clicked today (I click every day) and saw that Jim Boeheim said something terrible about one of his players going pro. Cool, I am game, who doesn't dislike Boeheim?
    http://deadspin.com/this-is-why-nobody-should-play-for-jim-boeheim-1558184437

I played the clip, and I was struck with, "this is why Deadspin is outraged? Boeheim said his guard could use some more strength?" It was a complete oversell of Boeheim being a dick, and man their anger at the establishment doesn't equal the crime here.

Hey, that's cool, they want to be "that guy". I am sure some people like it more, I don't.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yet you click every day?

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I enjoyed Deadspin more for the comments, which were usually funnier than the original post.

RIP Deadspin.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Magary is always great. And hilarious.

The other guys there now, not even close.
    I usually go to the comments pretty quick, too.

The comments are always great. And hilarious.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I didn't get the Boeheim stuff, either. Guess it was just a slow news day.

9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

An interesting note on Gawker buttoning up, banning internet slang and a few other things.

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/mediawire/246113/gawker-bans-internet-slang/

Draft saved Draft deleted