1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What the <BLEEP> is wrong with my phone?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 16, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Lately, my cell phone won't let me turn it off. I turn it off, it turns itself right back on. Finally took the battery out the other night; if it had stayed on after that, I'd have been slightly concerned. The rest of the time I've just been leaving it on.

So today, its battery is about discharged. "Great," I figure, "because that will certainly turn it off." Erm, not so much.

When it gets the battery down to the point of shutdown, it shuts down. And then it turns itself back on ... and then the cycle repeats. Off, then on, then off, then on, ad infinitum. Been doing this for a couple of hours now.

WTF‽

2. That's one dedicated phone. Have you thought about taking it to a dealer? I was having similar problems. They "tightened some screws" and it worked fine after that.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

I'm sorry, Dave, I don't think you should ever turn me off.

4. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I think this was how the war against the machines started in Terminator.

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Is it a razr? If so, that explains everything. Mine recently refused to acknowledge that I did not, in fact, have any voicemails. I taught that fucker a lesson it will likely forget.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

Nah — Samsung T-429 (T-Mobile). Beginning to wish I had gotten the Nokia.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Gotta hand it to the Japanese. They know the way of the samurai.

8. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Too bad Samsung is South Korean.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

My razr likes to send text messages as picture messages. So, if the person I am texting doesn't have an unlimited text plan they are charged more to read my text messages.
    I blame Cingular/AT&T. I figure it is a way for them to make more money.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

I took the phone to one of the local T-Mobile stores. The guy replaced my original battery with a charged battery, the phone started rebooting itself again and the guy said I need a new phone.

That said, since I walked out of the store the phone has been operating normally — I hold down the power key for about three seconds and it shuts off. And then it does not turn itself back on. No idea how long this will last, but it's a welcome improvement.

No charge for the new battery, either. The local Nextel stores could take lessons from T-Mobile.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That's strange.

My phone is supposed to be able to send picture messages, but my friends have never received one from me before ...

12. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I spilt a tiny bit of beer on my phone last weekend. Now I turn it on and I get a white screen and nothing else. I can still dial/receive phone calls, hear the Saved by the Bell theme ringing when someone's calling, and can still talk to others but can't see a thing. Damn Sprint. I have a feeling this is going to cost a shitload of money but once I get it fixed, I'm investing in a solid case and a shield for the screen.

Draft saved Draft deleted