1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What teams has the SEC beaten to deserve this reputation?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

What happened in 04 has no bearing on this season. Auburn's done what they're supposed to do. So has Oregon. So has TCU. So has Boise. But two of them are going to get left out if they all hold serve. That's the wonderful system we have.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

If we just say "none," can we move on to another argument. This one seems to have been going on for years.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If both Auburn and Oregon wind up undefeated, I don't think any reasonable person should have a problem with their being slotted into the title game. But if one stumbles and then somehow LSU (or another one-loss team from a power conference) slides in ahead of TCU, that's the bunk.

4. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

If Oregon and Auburn win out, they're in.

I can't see LSU getting in over an undefeated TCU or Boise though. For one, too many flukish (for lack of a better word) wins. Tennessee and Florida immediately jump to mind. Second, unless Auburn unravels, it's going to the SEC championship game. Can't see an LSU team that doesn't even play in the SEC championship game going over an undefeated TCU or Boise.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

LSU won't pass an undefeated TCU or Boise State in the human polls.

The computers? That's the rub.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Disclosure: SEC fanboi, although I won't cop to being a looser ...

I'd love to see Boise or TCU get a shot in the title game. I would not love for them both to be there. They need to play a team from one of the power conferences, otherwise the argument doesn't change. BSU vs. Oregon would be like watching a video game.

I think Auburn is at a point where every game is its national championship. They really cannot afford to lose one, because neither Boise nor TCU is going to lose one. And LSU has no business in the BCS championship.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would love to see Oregon and TCU in a title game that will be watched by nobody.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Wait! They actually have classes at SEC schools!?!

/as a Southerner, I can get away with that joke

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And the SEC works in cupcakes like UT Chatt and Citadel in late November.

Nothing will be worked out until there are four or eight teams playing for it all in December.

But undefeated and untied Oregon has to be in the title game. So does Auburn if they are undefeated and untied.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Like how LSU is playing Louisiana-Monroe and Arkansas is playing UTEP this Saturday.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

If things hold up like they are now it means that Boise and TCU won't play each other — again — in a bowl.

TCU would head to the Rose to face Ohio State and in the Sugar it will be Boise and LSU. If Boise curb stomps LSU and I think they will, the SEC fanbois will proclaim that LSU was just lucky this season and never deserved to be 11-1.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

LSU is lucky EVERY season.

I still think Auburn is a bit of a fraud. The defense blows. I say it's about 90/10 Bama wins the Iron Bowl.

Draft saved Draft deleted