1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What teams has the SEC beaten to deserve this reputation?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would agree with that.

But what happens if Auburn beats Alabama and Georgia and loses in the SECCG and LSU wins out? Could LSU jump over them?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I do think it's funny that when you watch ESPN and they're talking about which 1-loss teams are still in contention, they seem to glaze over any of those teams that aren't in the SEC.

3. mb

mb Active Member

I'm sure none of the ESPN love comes from the eleventybrazilliondollar contract the network has with the conference.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This thread is awesome. And I assume it's only going to get better...

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'll agree that the SEC is a strong league, every year. If a team can get through that league unbeaten, they deserve a shot at the BCS crystal.

But a one-loss Auburn team (or LSU) over unbeaten TCU or Boise State? No.

If you do that, then the championship is pre-ordained before the season starts for an SEC, Big 10, Pac-10 or Big 12 team. What the other teams do don't matter.

6. mb

mb Active Member

I don't think so. Folks will remember that 1) Auburn beat LSU and 2) Tennessee beats LSU if Tennessee's players and coaches could ... you know ... count.

If Auburn beats Alabama, it will have five wins over teams in the BCS top 25 (at least teams that are in it now).

7. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

What other teams in non-BCS conferences do does not matter.

For the record, I would like to see TCU/BSU in the title game to either kill the argument or make it easier for those teams in the future.

8. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

Mississippi State/Alabama game is going to be interesting. It will help AU either way because MSU could move up. (Only losses to Auburn and LSU).

People forget Arky is a good football team too.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I hope LSU plays for a title, just so we can watch The Hat chomping on some grass.

10. mb

mb Active Member

Maybe I'm what's wrong with the whole effing system, but I'd have an awfully hard time voting TCU ahead of Auburn if ...

--Auburn has defeated four or five BCS top-25 opponents
    --TCU has defeated one BCS top-25 opponent

There's one thing non-BCS schools can control, and that's schedule. At least Boise State tried for two marquee games ... and traveled for one of them (Va. Tech and Oregon State).

TCU settled for Oregon State (in Dallas), Baylor, Tennessee Tech and SMU. Hell, they didn't even leave the Metroplex for ANY of their four non-conference games.

11. mb

mb Active Member

If I'm Boise, I'm pissed at the TCU love.

Boise had a better non-conference schedule.
    Boise's conference game against Nevada could end up being just as good as TCU's over Utah.
    Boise finished last season by beating TCU.

12. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

+1,000,000

Draft saved Draft deleted