1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'What teachers really want to tell parents'

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Feb 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What do you think of law students?

3. Dick Whitman

This has nothing to do with what I think.

Also: If you keep trying to out me, we're going to have some serious fucking problems.

4. I can think of a profession where the educational bar for entry is even lower than teaching.

Journalism.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Law.

6. In her school, they have a timeout program in place, so the child is taken to the chair in the hallway outside the door. So, the kid with the problem isn't necessarily bothering the rest of the class. And when the kid comes back in, they are generally better behaved. But those same kids have the same problems daily. And she deals with them daily. Then she goes to the parents. If that doesn;t work, other measures need to be taken because the ones in place clearly aren't working. I suggest that she goes to her boss because, after numerous attempts to correct the behavior, it clearly isn't working. Other avenues have to be tried. Behavioral problems are her responsibility to a point. But it doesn't HAVE TO end with her.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That makes more sense. Thanks for the description. But if it's preschool, I'm taking a leap here, but it's voluntary so it's probably private and the parents are paying some decent money to send their kids there. Principal isn't going to piss off a paying customer.

8. dmc

dmc Guest

All I can do is react after the fact.

What good is courting parental involvement if our involvement is to say "Why didn't you turn in that paper?"

So what did you do about that?

And finding out "after the fact" that he did not do assignments, what did you do about that?

9. You are correct, private school, but you would be surprised. A large reason, or at least a pretty big reason for any failures in the public school system is the parents don't care. Teachers can only do so much and it is getting harder and harder for public school teachers. At least in this school, the officials take that seriously, and there is a pretty decent demand for classroom space because Indiana is on the voucher system. So they are more concerned with the quality of the classroom environment than they are with any particular parents' money. It'll be replaced. Now that all being said, it is preschool, so most of these problems can and will, be overcome.

10. Dick Whitman

For the record, the comment about teachers having, in general, "low IQ's" isn't meant as a shot at the profession. More of a shot at the system that is set up to not attract the best and brightest - although some of them certainly enter the profession because of rewards other than monetary ones (or upward mobility, which I would struggle with).

There are some bad teachers out there who get into it because it's an easy major and looks like an easy job. There are also some positively great teachers out there. But I think it's incumbent on me as a parent to see which type my kid's teacher is.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And I would hope that as the time draws near, you broaden your horizons and recognize that IQ or whatever is called "intelligence" is not the primary factor and is probably quite low on the factors of what makes a successful teacher. I've had several that I would classify as flaky, and one who was an absolute dingbat, in matters of adult-to-adult interaction. But they were also very patient and upbeat, and my boys gained a lot of confidence being in their class and liked going to school more than previously.

I would start to look more at intelligence when specialty classes arrive in middle school and especially on the AP track in high school.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

At some point he would have to do it himself, but if a signature was required everyday from the teacher, then you would know to lower the hammer at home. The thing about signing agendas is that it has to be every day. You cannot skip days or it blows up the process.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.