1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Sports Do You Play?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 3OctaveFart, Nov 30, 2012.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Swimming, a handful of golf rounds per year, and occasionally, basketball.

Regarding the latter, the few times I play anymore, it's with my son and his friends ... but now that he's in eighth grade, they're getting too tall and I'm getting too old.

I still get the ol' mountain bike out occasionally, too ... so I can keep up my annual quota of crashing and injuring myself. :p

2. maberger

maberger Member

golf now, couple dozen rounds rounds from spring to fall
    used to be hockey and boxing

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I run, mainly for myself and not to win because, well, I won't win. 35-year olds don't beat 20-year olds in 5K races.

I used to play quite a bit of golf until the kids started getting older. Same with slow-pitch softball. I live in a small city, so options are kind of limited beyond basketball, volleyball and softball, but I would love to play indoor soccer.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

It's all about the age groups. I enjoy seeing how well I can do overall, but as you say, I can't run with the 20 year olds. The age group is more of a focus.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I played flag football for many year, in men's and co-ed leagues. One league we were put in on the men's side one season had a couple of marginal NFL players who would show up and hog the ball. They thought they were so great that they didn't get the concept of teamwork and would actually screw up more than they would actually help their teams. They were fast and athletic as all hell, though.
    I also played softball for many years and joined a co-ed soccer league last summer. I was not prepared for all the running that entailed.
    I am a pretty good dart player, but I have never played competitively, and I haven't played at all in quite some time.
    I also play golf a few times a year. Used to play like twice a month but can't really afford that anymore.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I'm pleasantly surprised at how many dart throwers are here. I used to, back in the day, but now I mainly just play golf and see how fast I can run through every channel with my remote. That's a sport, right? :D

7. Yoga

And a beer in the hand is a must when throwing darts. It acts like a counterweight for me. Need it for balance - yes balance - that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

8. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I used to play flag football but haven't found a group since I moved. That's where I learned I'd unconsciously picked up the over-the-shoulder forward roll volleyball players use when diving for the ball.

Right now I play ice hockey 2-3 times a week. I'm quite terrible, but that's half the fun. Plus I get nasty bruises, like the one forming on my left calf right now, to show off.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I love shuffleboard. I'm an Elk, and we have a board at our lodge.
    Unfortunately, we moved 20 minutes outside of town, so I very rarely go the lodge anymore.
    And almost nobody plays shuffleboard anymore. It's hard to get a match.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Actually placed second in my age group in a 5K about a year ago. First time I ever won a prize. It was a Santa statue. Bitterly disappointed.

11. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Golf. I'm killer off the tee, barely competent with the irons and pathetic with a putter.

I still like disc golf and it's not a walk wasted.

That's about it.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Golf
    Bowling
    Darts
    Shuffleboard

They can all be fun, competitive activities. They're not really sports, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted