1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Sports Do You Play?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 3OctaveFart, Nov 30, 2012.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I'm a competitive masturbater.

That out of the way: Modified slowpitch softball, regular softball, curling (when I can get it in), drop-in hockey, beer pong, bowling, broomball, used to "manage" a "pro" wrestler in a backyard wrestling league.

2. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Three-beer limit, for me, when I am throwing.
    No doubt beer is half the fun with darts, but the sport is all about focus and visual acuity.
    Beer don't mix with that.

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Used to fool around with darts, but never played competitively. I throw left handed and have a quirky delivery, but used to be pretty accurate.

Tried playing a game of pick up hoops a few months ago and was sore for a week.

Used to run, swim and lift when I was single. Now that I have a wife and house, I find there is a lot less time for sports.

Edit: I have a bike that used to get used quite a bit, but has been rarely taken out of late

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

About a dozen years ago, when I was in my early 20s, I signed up to play in a local flag football league. I'd never played organized football, but I had played more than my share of neighborhood pickup games as a kid and felt like I was in pretty good shape. I was happy, too, that I got put on a pretty good team that had played and done well in a few national tournaments.
    It took me half a practice to realize I was in WAY over my head.
    Most of the guys on the team had not only played high school ball, but had been pretty good players (a couple starters, a few all-county players only a few years removed from it). Some had played college and junior college ball. I did OK considering the talent difference, but couldn't ever figure out how to grab a flag on a shifty-ass guy running a 4.5 40, so I looked a dumbass.
    I ended up bailing after the last of a half-dozen practices when they wanted me to shell out another $50 for a game jersey. It was obvious I wasn't going to play more than on special teams, if that, so I said screw it.
    Anyway, moral of the story is that flag football leagues are no joke.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've done some masters swim meets the last few years. At one point I'd almost gotten my times back to what they were in high school, which was about a B+ level.
    Of course, I'd go to these meets and get waxed by a bunch of freaks who were two years removed from swimming in college. I think they might've had gills, too.

6. Tim Stephens

Tim Stephens Member

I still play basketball every chance I get.

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Run (races)
    Bike (races)
    Soccer
    Softball
    Golf, but not nearly as much as I used to. I would just rather spend the money on something else.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Basketball and bowling. Also love to swim and go casual bike-riding, but I've never done either competitively.

I have to say, I'm amazed there are this many darts enthusiasts here...although, as Cosmo and 3OF noted, maybe it's more the beer. :D

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Played hockey for about 30 years after graduating from university. Gave it up about ten years ago.

Hockey's a game where you have to make a decision about a situation in half a second. Problem was, at the end of my rec hockey career the brain was right on top of things but my body was five seconds behind.

I need to find a league of over 60's who play on a half rink--like the four year olds. :)

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I hear ya. Our college game a couple weeks ago wasn't bad. I was barely winded after. Was definitely sore the next day, though.

The league I played in a while back was weird because it was back when I was covering HS sports. I was tasked to block the guy who led our area in sacks the previous season. He was my paper's All Area Defensive POY by a country mile. Surprisingly, I didn't die. Or throw more than just a few lookout blocks.

My team also won just one game.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Soccer
    Does bowhunting count as a sport to y'all?
    Skeet, trap and Practical Pistol shooting
    Bike races (road, MTB and cyclocross)
    Trail running

Beginning next week, I'm starting swimming so I can do an Xterra triathlon in the early summer 2013.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Basketball, coed softball, dodgeball and then there are the sports at work: suffleboard, bocce ball and the always amazing, Tecmo Bowl tournaments.

Draft saved Draft deleted