1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Sports Do You Play?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 3OctaveFart, Nov 30, 2012.

1. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Let's hear them, members and moderators.
    I play competitive darts.
    Now I know it's a stretch to call dart throwing a sport.
    But is is a very exacting sport.
    And demands a real commitment.
    I hate some of the dart teams at the lodge I frequent. Filled with self-important asses.
    Last time I played there, my team scored second place out of 16 teams - mostly because of me.
    I've been feeling the itch to show my face again - out for dart blood this weekend.
  2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I used to play darts, but I wouldn't call it a sport.

At 42, I no longer engage in any acticity that could be considered a sport.
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

When I can ...

pick-up hoops
    flag football
    a few rec baseball games
  4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Competitive chess?
  5. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

There is nothing at all about my make-up, physical and/or mental, that would make good at any sports whatsoever. That is why I am such a good sports fan.
  6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Oh, and I spent a year in a curling league.
  7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Softball, but it's now been since pre-Peace Corps that I've been on an organized team. There was a league in Rabat, but I was eight hours away.
  8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I played serious darts for about 15 years. Probably not a sport since I usually got better about halfway through the second beer.
    But it was damn fun and very competitive in L.A. All the British guys came over for a month during the summer for three big tournaments. They showed up at our bars and it was challenging to try to beat them. I played against -- but never beat -- a lot of their big shots, but I was definitely in the game and was never embarrassed.
    Best time was a Friday night shoot at a bar the night before the L.A. Open. It was a blind-draw doubles tournament, meaning you entered by yourself and they pulled names out of a hat to form doubles teams. I drew the Swedish national champion. We won about 7 matches in a single-elimination event, got to the quarterfinals when the Swedish hot-shot missed the double-out after I set him up.
  9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's been a while since I played basketball, but I'd like to put a half-court in at our house.

I haven't played softball since my 20s.

I bowled in my 20s, but that's not a sport.

I was involved in a drunk fight club about 10 years ago.

I'm an avid poker player, but that's not a sport.
  10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I try to golf as much as possible, which isn't nearly enough as I'd like.

I played flag football two weeks ago in my fraternity's annual Active vs. Alumni game (full contact on the line). Played in a regular flag league a ways back and would like to do it again.

Really wanna get back into softball, but alas, I'm lazy.
  11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I don't really have much time to play sports anymore, too busy covering them, although I do like to golf when I get the chance, I'm just horseshit at it though.
  12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Also a former dart player here ... just never found an outlet in town to play steel tip like I did when I lived out west. Used to play in a ton of tournaments, blind draws, etc., along with being on a team in a league in town. Ton of fun. I've played in a few tournaments in NoVa, but probably haven't played competitively in four or five years now.

You're right. It gets real intense. Real serious. And there's a fine line with the beer ... some relaxes you, too much and you're erratic.
Draft saved Draft deleted