1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Sports Do You Play?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 3OctaveFart, Nov 30, 2012.

1. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Let's hear them, members and moderators.
    Me?
    I play competitive darts.
    Now I know it's a stretch to call dart throwing a sport.
    But is is a very exacting sport.
    And demands a real commitment.
    I hate some of the dart teams at the lodge I frequent. Filled with self-important asses.
    Last time I played there, my team scored second place out of 16 teams - mostly because of me.
    I've been feeling the itch to show my face again - out for dart blood this weekend.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I used to play darts, but I wouldn't call it a sport.

At 42, I no longer engage in any acticity that could be considered a sport.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

When I can ...

pick-up hoops
    flag football
    bowling
    a few rec baseball games

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Competitive chess?

5. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

There is nothing at all about my make-up, physical and/or mental, that would make good at any sports whatsoever. That is why I am such a good sports fan.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Oh, and I spent a year in a curling league.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Softball, but it's now been since pre-Peace Corps that I've been on an organized team. There was a league in Rabat, but I was eight hours away.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I played serious darts for about 15 years. Probably not a sport since I usually got better about halfway through the second beer.
    But it was damn fun and very competitive in L.A. All the British guys came over for a month during the summer for three big tournaments. They showed up at our bars and it was challenging to try to beat them. I played against -- but never beat -- a lot of their big shots, but I was definitely in the game and was never embarrassed.
    Best time was a Friday night shoot at a bar the night before the L.A. Open. It was a blind-draw doubles tournament, meaning you entered by yourself and they pulled names out of a hat to form doubles teams. I drew the Swedish national champion. We won about 7 matches in a single-elimination event, got to the quarterfinals when the Swedish hot-shot missed the double-out after I set him up.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's been a while since I played basketball, but I'd like to put a half-court in at our house.

I haven't played softball since my 20s.

I bowled in my 20s, but that's not a sport.

I was involved in a drunk fight club about 10 years ago.

I'm an avid poker player, but that's not a sport.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I try to golf as much as possible, which isn't nearly enough as I'd like.

I played flag football two weeks ago in my fraternity's annual Active vs. Alumni game (full contact on the line). Played in a regular flag league a ways back and would like to do it again.

Really wanna get back into softball, but alas, I'm lazy.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I don't really have much time to play sports anymore, too busy covering them, although I do like to golf when I get the chance, I'm just horseshit at it though.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Also a former dart player here ... just never found an outlet in town to play steel tip like I did when I lived out west. Used to play in a ton of tournaments, blind draws, etc., along with being on a team in a league in town. Ton of fun. I've played in a few tournaments in NoVa, but probably haven't played competitively in four or five years now.

You're right. It gets real intense. Real serious. And there's a fine line with the beer ... some relaxes you, too much and you're erratic.

Draft saved Draft deleted