1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What sports books are you reading this summer?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mrbio, Jul 21, 2011.

1. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Recently finished Jane Leavy's book on Mantle. I know I'll get grief for this, but the book wasn't worth it. Like someone said above for another book, there was too much me, me, me. Yes, she's a great writer. Yes, she researched the heck out of this book. I wanted to read about Mickey Mantle, not her.

I also read the Al Kaline biography by Jim Hawkins - decent, but again, too much me, me, me. And, there were passages straight out of George Cantor's wonderful book about the '68 Tigers. Yes, Jim gave proper credit, but I already have that book and have read it a couple times. I didn't pay to re-read a book I already own, darn it!

And, I recently read Bob Probert's autobiography. It's a well-done book about a guy who just couldn't get his crap together, even though he was arguably the best fighter of his era and had a wonderful family - a terrific wife and four children who adored him. The passages about his final day are just riveting.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

My thought when I read that was that, yes, there was a lot of good Mantle material in there, but no, she didn't write it particularly well.

3. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Messrs Glass, Eagle

Her Koufax book was symphonic, Mantle a bit of a polka. I suspect Mantle was by far the more difficult to write simply because JL had to try to cover ground that hadn't already been stampeded by MM biographers previously. Koufax was by contrast a mystery unravelled for the reader.

YHS, etc

4. mrbio

mrbio Member

Wow, so many really good books being mentioned here, some never heard of. Going to read Probert next. Hockey fighting has always been a very alluring aspect of sports, those are some brave and courageous warriors laying it on the line night after night, especially a guy like Bob Probert. RIP.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

All these baseball biographies being mentioned reminded me that David Maraniss' "Clemente" is outstanding, particularly in dealing with Clemente's role as a Latino sociopolitical figure.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Maraniss' next bad book will be his first.

7. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Finally read a book I had on my shelf for awhile, Levels of the Game by the great John McPhee. For those who haven't read it, it's about a US Open match in 1968 between Arthur Ashe and Clark Graebner.

Currently finishing up Shawn Green's "The Way of Baseball." It's a quick, pretty fascinating look into his career and how he utilized eastern philosophy-style thinking (yoga, meditation) through his hitting.

8. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr J,

Levels of the Game is a great lost book. McPhee's Bradley thing unfairly over-shadows it.

YHS, etc

9. mrbio

mrbio Member

Levels of the Game by McPhee is about as good as it gets.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm finally reading Bill Nack's "Secretariat." No idea why I waited so long.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Never read the book but his Big Red story in SI - Pure Heart - is the best thing I have ever read in that mag.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The Nack book on Secretariat remains the best book ever about one thoroughbred horse, and all that surrounded him. Yes, Seabiscuit is grand, and I hold Laura H. in the highest regard . . . . but she didn't grow up loving the game. And Bill did. And it matters.

Draft saved Draft deleted