1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What sporting events have you thought were fixed?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh Jesus. Now you've done it.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Didn't fumble all year for Iowa then put it on the ground three or four times in the first half and dropped a sure touchdown pass in the second half against a pretty weak UCLA team that Iowa should have run right out of the stadium.

Story was that UCLA focused on going for the strip whenever possible and that caused the fumbles. But Harmon was later found out to be mixed up with Norby Walters and Lloyd Bloom, a couple of wannabe agents who had some ties organized crime so the suspicion has always been there.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

In 85, Harmon had been an All-American stud and only fumbled once during Iowa's entire 10-1 regular season. But then, in the Rose Bowl, he fumbles 4 times in the first half, drops an easy touchdown, and looked like he was laying down on several plays in Iowa's 45-28 loss to UCLA. There've been persistent rumors ever since that he threw the game.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I knew there was a reason I should read this thread.

And yes, that game was definitely fixed.

6. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Love how an NBA Finals ad comes with this thread. Just sayin'.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I have no problem with the Steelers winning SB XL, considering how fucking obvious the NFL was in trying to rig the Colts game three weeks earlier.

Still, the most odious (sp?) game I've ever seen was Bucs-Rams in the 1999 NFC title game. More fixed than any NBA game.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Look, maybe I had a few drinks with the guys ... and it's possible, perhaps, that the ways and means of throwing a game were discussed ... but I never took any money, honest!

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

"Shit I traveled when I got the ball and they didn't call it. What can I do now to swing the spread?"

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Don't encourage him. He'll start posting stills taken off the video of the game again. hehe

Of course, you are both entitled to your delusions opinions.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Evander Holyfield in 1984

Draft saved Draft deleted