1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What sporting events have you thought were fixed?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It would be too easy. I'd wind up exhausted from the keystroking.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I heard there was some fishy stuff with the 1919 World Series.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was there. I should know, but you may be right.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Ronnie Harmon says the 1986 Rose Bowl was on the up-and-up.

5. Mizzougrad96

You're correct. It was 2001.

6. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

The only professional/college game I remember thinking was undoubtedly fixed was that Lakers-Kings game. Referees can be bad, but they can't be that bad.

Then there was this high school game I covered back in the day in which the white refs made sure the all-black team lost a game at the all-white team's gym. One particular play stood out. One of the refs didn't call a blatant foul right in front of him and later told the coach, who complained about the no-call, something to the effect of "what you're doing is way worse than what I'm doing." He was talking about the coach, who's white, coaching a team full of black kids.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Who knows, the 2002 one may have been fixed too.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Bubba Smith claimed that Super Bowl III where the Namath Jets upset the Colts was fixed. I've yet to hear anyone back him up on it, though.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I arrived early at a high school softball game where I saw someone tending to the field (putting down lines and bases), go into a storage shed and come back out dressed as the plate umpire.

You guessed it. Visiting team lost on one of the worst calls I've ever seen at the plate.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

This one time, this donkey was drawing on a one-outer against me on Full Tilt and, well ...

11. Mizzougrad96

The two events I've covered where I thought the fix was definitely in was the Pepsi 400 and Game 6 in the 2002 Western Conference finals.

Plus, there is no way in hell the 1985 draft lottery wasn't fixed.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I've read rumors about Harmon throwing games. Never a huge CFB fan, so I don't know the evidence. What was it?

And didn't he also have a couple huge drops when the Bills lost to the Super Bowl-bound Bengals in the '88 playoffs?

Draft saved Draft deleted