1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What should, or could, a sports highlights show be?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Noel Murray of The AV Club praises NBC Sports Network's The 'Lights and MLB Network's Quick Pitch as steps in the right direction — away from ESPN — but still clinging to the traditional.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/what-should-a-sports-recap-show-be-in-2012,84328/

He has many good points, well beyond the quoted midsection, but he doesn't address the fundamental question: Would a high-brow sports highlight show work, financially?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Give me the score, key plays, perhaps something interesting that happened and any relevant news that occurred (injuries, disputed calls) That's all I need.
    Things I don't need fantasy stats (unless some record was broken), a "breakdown," or tweets.
    Go into and out of breaks with updated standings and maybe cap it with a good play/blooper reel.

I used to make a point to watch SportsCenters plays of the week/month on Sundays until they butchered it so much you couldn't figure out why what they showed was so great.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I discovered Quick Pitch during the 2010 season and it's my go-to show for baseball news soon as I get home. I want to see that great catch, or close play at the plate, or whatever happened off the field that affected the game(s). Start off with the big game of the night, rather than the Yankees or Red Sox every effing night. Can it be done on a one-size-fits-all show like SC? Yes ... once upon a time, they did exactly that.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

That blog post was all over the place. Does he want graphics crowding the screen or does he want NFL Films? And what does Howard Cosell have to do with any of that?

It's harder to tell a story with a set of highlights these days because everybody knows the result.

I like Quick Pitch, too. It has an almost throwback appeal.

5. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Say what you will of Berman, but NFL Primetime was a smash hit when it began and the best sports highlights show ever made.
    And with all the crap now choking the network, it is sorely missed.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You knew your team was having a bad season if Pidto was doing your highlights.

30, you are correct, that was a great show.

I want to see results, highlights, stats and standings. I also want to see every game played the night before.

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

As a kid, I used to tape NFL Primetime every week back in the VCR, pre-DVD world. It was the hour of the TV week I looked forward to most. I think some of that's lost now, with fantasy tickers scrolling on the bottom and video highlights online minutes after a big play has happened. That was how you found out who did what -- the 100-yard receivers and rushers at the end of the show actually broke that news to football fans that didn't see more than a few games 20 years ago.

8. writingump

writingump Member

No MLB Network here in southern Illinois. I miss Quick Pitch very much. As HanSenSE said, it shows all the games, not just non-stop Yankee or Red Sox coverage like Northeast Baseball Tonight.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yes. It takes time, efficiency, consistency, sharp, sublime hosts of both genders and the right kind of advertising plan.

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

My RA in college used to watch football with black tape covering the scroll at the bottom and two squares where the scoreboxes would pop on on his TV specifically so he could be surprised for Primetime.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

That's an amazing story.

That show was truly the gold standard of highlight shows.

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I didn't go that far, but when I was younger I used to try and avoid scores of the games I wasn't watching for the same reason. I loved Primetime.

Draft saved Draft deleted